Biff's Drivelock!

Dunmar

Pleased to hear thst Bill. Taking things to the next level is our speciality :-)

The West Highland 37's on my Glenfinnan layout are more at home Bif- the EM 1 speaker seems to bring out that 'throbbing' effect that they have! ( hope that doesn't sound rude)!

Bill.

Hi Charlie and Biff,

I was thinking of ordering another class 33 sound chip so good to hear it will have the new drivelock feature. What speaker do you supply these days?

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

The 8-pin chips come with a 20x40mm speaker and enclosure as standard. For best results the speaker should be built into the fuel tanks and if made airtight would sound very good. We offer a range of options to make this job easier and / or improve upon it. The same options are available for the 26 & 27, ie;

1. A 3D printed replacement centre section for the Heljan fuel tank assembly. Clip the standard speaker in, clip the Heljan sides on and fit to the loco in place of the original assembly. PVA glue should be carefully applied to make the enclosure airtight during assembly.

2. A complete resin replacement for the Heljan tank assembly, into which a supplied 28x40mm speaker will fit. Bigger enclosed space, bigger speaker, better sound. Again, use PVA glue to make it airtight during assembly.

3. The best we've achieved so far. Fit option 2 above but supplement with one of our EM1 or EM2 speakers fitted into a milled space in the loco chassis. Not significantly louder than option 2 but deeper bass and richer sound. If you search You Tube for 'Merlin DCC 33' there are three videos of this sound fit in action. Merlin DCC is Steve Brammer, our sound fitting man extraordinaire.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Peter,

The 8-pin chips come with a 20x40mm speaker and enclosure as standard. For best results the speaker should be built into the fuel tanks and if made airtight would sound very good. We offer a range of options to make this job easier and / or improve upon it. The same options are available for the 26 & 27, ie;

1. A 3D printed replacement centre section for the Heljan fuel tank assembly. Clip the standard speaker in, clip the Heljan sides on and fit to the loco in place of the original assembly. PVA glue should be carefully applied to make the enclosure airtight during assembly.

2. A complete resin replacement for the Heljan tank assembly, into which a supplied 28x40mm speaker will fit. Bigger enclosed space, bigger speaker, better sound. Again, use PVA glue to make it airtight during assembly.

3. The best we've achieved so far. Fit option 2 above but supplement with one of our EM1 or EM2 speakers fitted into a milled space in the loco chassis. Not significantly louder than option 2 but deeper bass and richer sound. If you search You Tube for 'Merlin DCC 33' there are three videos of this sound fit in action. Merlin DCC is Steve Brammer, our sound fitting man extraordinaire.

Hope this helps,

Bif

See

Thanks Guys,

Love the video, clip just how I remember them on the Pompy - Bristol trains. I am also wondering if the Drivelock can be re blown onto an older V3.5 decoder.

Thanks again Peter.

Bif sent me one of the first drivelock class 33 files but that was for a v4 decoder. I don't think the v3.5 files are the same - certainly the one I had reblown at the same time is an older version in Bif's stocks.

Just thinking out loud here and sorry if it's been covered - is there an option to 'drivelock' on the idle sound? I'm looking at pairing Class 20s on a weedkiller train but want the rear loco to be idling....

An extension of this may be railtour shunting with top and tail steam/diesel - the diesel dragging the steam loco (or vice versa!) so 'clanking sounds' on the steam but no actual exhaust beat....

Thoughts?

Charlie.

Could you give some dimensions for thew EM1 and 2 please?

Dave

I've answered my own question as I found the sizes in the 'World Tour' thread.

Here they are for others interested.

EM dimensions as promised, all in mm;

EM1 56 x 25 x 10

EM2 66 x 30 x 15

EM3 89 x 37 x 22

EM4 136 x 55 x 32

Cheers

Dave

DavidM,

it is quite straightforward to program one of a pair of locos to stay at idle whilst driving (and for the idling loco to automatically change ends when you reverse the set). Drivelock has a different purpose altogether, and as the name implies, it locks the speed of the loco which is not what you want.

As soon as I get a bit of spare time I will revist my existing matched pairs of chips and see if I can implement your request whilst keeping it simple to select and operate as a pair. Some users (and operational scenarios) will want the rear loco under power so it would be nice to be able to switch from one mode to the other.

Bif

I have EM1 Speakers here in Leeds,  Charlie  01132 563415

Hi Charlie,

I know you will be busy getting ready for Warley but I did try to contact you by phone around 3.30pm this afternoon. Would it be possible for you to keep back one EM-1 speaker for me and I will try again on your return.

Cheers, Bill.

Bif sent me one of the first drivelock class 33 files but that was for a v4 decoder. I don't think the v3.5 files are the same - certainly the one I had reblown at the same time is an older version in Bif's stocks.

Thanks Jeff,

Thought I would ask as you have a class 31 chip to re blow for me and it would be nice if I could have the option. Not to worry though.

Cheers Peter,

Peter,

Sorry, missed your question there. Drivelock and the other ESU 'full throttle' features are v4 only I'm afraid. The sound regimes in v3.5 were fixed so there wasn't much leeway with what you could do creatively. v4 on the other hand is incredibly flexible and that's what's enabling us to programme in some really good features. We're still only scratching the surface.

Bif

Peter,

Sorry, missed your question there. Drivelock and the other ESU 'full throttle' features are v4 only I'm afraid. The sound regimes in v3.5 were fixed so there wasn't much leeway with what you could do creatively. v4 on the other hand is incredibly flexible and that's what's enabling us to programme in some really good features. We're still only scratching the surface.

Bif

No worries Bif, I thought that might be the case. 

Cheers Peter.

Archived