Any advice who to use to laser cut 4mm buildings

Hi everyone

I am wanting to build a 4mm model of Swansea East dock Sheds and Coal stages. Not had much luck finding a company who can give me a quote and possibly supply these buildings laser cut.

Any help would be great

Scott

York Modelmaking maybe worth contacting, although if you do the artwork yourself you will save quite a bit of money.

I presume you have scale drawings . Also why laser cut? Worth considering 3D printing. Although some laser cut building models have correct brickwork, it is more common for modern stretcher bond to be used. Either way not going to be cheap.

As an experiment I designed a GWR coal stage, to see if it was possible

coal-stage1.jpg

I had the parts for a LNWR wooden footbridge cut by Jonathan Buckie of Clock Work Ideas.

I drew the parts using CorelDraw, Jonathan then laid them out and cut them in Rowmark. I chose this plastic as wood usually has a coarse grain which gives the wrong effect.

Older vesrions on CorelDraw are usually available quite cheaply and it is quite easy to learn what you need to produce sinmple 2D drawings for laser cutting or etcing.

• 3 weeks later...

If someone has to find the plans, redraw them to scale, then laser cut them, you are talking a lot of time. Time costs money. You may be better off finding plans, or at least converting your photos into plans which someone could scan into coreldraw to use .

Failing that, if you have the plans why not draw them onto card and cut them out using a knife. Not hard and certainly cheaper.

Archived