Basingstoke 2017 show, 11th/12th March - the Best-in-Show layout

Western Star

After our trip down south on the Pines...  or maybe the trip was a return up north...  for this post we are off to the sunny south west and a layout set near to Truro.  The Andover Model Railway Club are bringing their 7mm layout "Frogpool" to our 2017 show and an extract from the club web-site provides a very good description of the origins of the model:-

{quote}

A highly fictitious and improbably small rural GWR branch line terminus somewhere between Falmouth and Truro. The village of Frogpool actually exists and in reality is served by the railway a couple of miles away at Perranwell which is on the Truro to Falmouth branch line.  The layout was built by Tony Collins, a member of the club, as an exercise in minimum space but with a track plan that requires considerable thought when marshalling rolling stock. The buildings are based on the following prototypes: Station on ‘Adelstrop’ plans from “GWR Country Stations” by Chris Leigh; Signal Cabin on ‘Burghclere’ from a photograph in “Didcot, Newbury  and Southampton Railway” by Kevin Robertson and Roger Simmonds; Large Lamp Room and Store on ‘Tetbury’; Lamp Hut on ‘Lambourn’; Goods Shed on ‘Hemyock’; Bridge on ‘Fairford’; all these from plans and photographs in “Great Western Branch Line Termini” by Paul Karau. Other items are based on no particular prototype. Although the layout is wired to run conventionally it now possesses the option of being operated with Digital Command Control (DCC) with locomotives enhanced with steam sound.

(end quote)

All photos in this post are courtesy of Stephen Rogerson.

post-4085-0-74244300-1484041928_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-23945400-1484041938_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-16346200-1484041945_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-10737200-1484041970.jpg

The photos which have been supplied to me do not, in my opinion, do justice to this layout... neither does the slide show on the club web-site - the infrastructure modelling appears to be of a high standard and the rolling stock is "very desirable". I shall be investigating further.

For this sprinkling of "Basingstoke 2017" we are off to the north of the country - to a representation of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway in the Calder Valley.  I understand that our time machine has taken us back to the early 1900s...  something to do with the semaphore arms.  The photos here were taken at the Ally Pally show in 2015,  copyright is with J.K. Wallace, photos supplied to me by David Kirby.

Calderwood is very much a layout in the landscape and makes use of that idea by including cuttings and tunnels at each end of the scenic section.  I like particularly the way in which the railway infrastructure is fitted into the restricted space and I make no excuse for including "both ends" of the story.

post-4085-0-55189600-1484689147.jpg

post-4085-0-09705300-1484689149.jpg

Here is something which is not often modelled...  a private siding with accompanying motive power.   Also of interest in this picture is a Lanky Tin-Tab break van with running numbers for reporting the goods service to "control".

post-4085-0-35303000-1484689146.jpg

For this week we are visiting a LMS / GWR joint line in a non-specific location.  "Porter's Lock" is from the Barnstaple Model Railway Club and the photos are by Steve Flint (Railway Modeller) courtesy of J Bowden (who appears to be a coal merchant with stacking ground at Porter's Lock). A different set of photographs can be found here .

post-4085-0-54459600-1485182510_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-72920000-1485182513_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-98420200-1485182517_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-27133900-1485182522_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A surprise addition to the show.  Ian Pope of Lightmoor Press is bringing his bookshop to our 2017 show.

The Basingstoke Club is very aware that customers expect a wide range of trade offerings and Lightmoor Press brings something to our show that has not been present in previous years - well researched and printed books about the operation of PO Wagons...  rolling stock of railways from north of the border...  periodicals on industrial history.

Please support Ian - maybe even look-up the Lightmoor catalogue which is available on-line.

thank you, Graham

• RMweb Gold

A surprise addition to the show.  Ian Pope of Lightmoor Press is bringing his bookshop to our 2017 show.

The Basingstoke Club is very aware that customers expect a wide range of trade offerings and Lightmoor Press brings something to our show that has not been present in previous years - well researched and printed books about the operation of PO Wagons...  rolling stock of railways from north of the border...  periodicals on industrial history.

Please support Ian - maybe even look-up the Lightmoor catalogue which is available on-line.

thank you, Graham

Oh dear - more expense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are intend to attend the Basingstoke Show over the weekend of 11th / 12th March then please visit our new traders, Roxey Mouldings and Lightmoor Press, and hopefully spend some money with them.

Visitors to shows often remark that the trade is lacking in some manner...  and our Club is set on satisfying some of those concerns hence the inclusion of two new traders for 2017.  Both Dave Hammersley (Mr. Roxey) and Ian Pope (Lightmoor) are taking a gamble on coming to our show so please provide them with your support.

thank you, Graham

Can you, your club or a friend help with our 2017 show?

Today, we have had a layout exhibitor withdraw from this year's event, the space allocated to the withdrawn layout is 40ft x 8ft and the layout is 7mm scale.  These things happen and all we can do is ask the question of the widest audience.

We need a replacement layout and preferably a 7mm layout to maintain the spread of scales which is one of Basingstoke's trademarks.  Whilst I am asking for one layout of approximately the size given we are happy to accept more than one layout if the combined space fits the "gap"...  maybe a club might be interested?

Comments and suggestions welcome, thank you, Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Porter's Lock has withdrawn recently from our 2017 show - we have been fortunate to find two (smaller) layouts to step in at short notice.  The new layouts to my original layout list are:-

Boscawen Junction - circa 1990s and in N-gauge.

Winterley Wharf - a GWR branch / dock in 7mm scale.

My apologies, I do not have photos of either of these layouts.

Porter's Lock has withdrawn recently from our 2017 show - we have been fortunate to find two (smaller) layouts to step in at short notice.  The new layouts to my original layout list are:-

Boscawen Junction - circa 1990s and in N-gauge.

Winterley Wharf - a GWR branch / dock in 7mm scale.

My apologies, I do not have photos of either of these layouts.

This is the only photo I have from Rotarail 2016 plus track plan.

post-11841-0-62003700-1489059132_thumb.jpgpost-11841-0-26627500-1489059247_thumb.jpg

With just two days to go I am offering further views on some of the layouts which you can see at the Basingstoke Show on this coming weekend, 11th and 12th March.  Photos as acknowledged / creditted previously.

post-4085-0-12777100-1489080715_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-77353400-1489080751_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-71304700-1489080874_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-41016500-1489080888_thumb.jpg

Hornby have surprised us in a nice way by loaning a display model of the new IEP 800 for our 2017 show.

If you want an extra excuse a good reason for coming to the Basingstoke show this weekend then maybe having a look at the new IEP 800 might tip the balance towards attending.

Here are a couple of photos of the models - in three liveries - in the Hornby display case.

post-4085-0-99800500-1489186183_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-25884700-1489186278_thumb.jpg

Photos courtesy of Robin Gilchrist

Again, a superb show. I think it's the third or fourth year I've made the trip, and despite the rather tedious journey from Kent it's always well worth the visit. Well done to everyone involved in organising the show!

If I may, some comments: the sports hall was very hot, but you already know about that; Durham Road MPD in the gym was rather taking the mick with their overpowering volume; I felt there may have been a little too much GWR in general, but I think I'm getting sensitised to copper chimney caps and shiny brass bonnets ;) ; Calderwood L&YR was lovely.

Again, a superb show. I think it's the third or fourth year I've made the trip, and ... it's always well worth the visit. Well done to everyone involved in organising the show!

If I may, some comments: the sports hall was very hot, but you already know about that; Durham Road MPD in the gym was rather taking the mick with their overpowering volume; I felt there may have been a little too much GWR in general ... Calderwood L&YR was lovely.

Thank you Heather, I am pleased that you liked the show.  We have a perennial problem with the temperature in the school hall - we installed "industrial" fans at lunch time and that improved the situation.  As for the sound level of Durham Road - we were not expecting quite the volume that was available and, on reflection, the placing of that layout in the Sports Hall would have been more appropriate.

Calderwood?  Lovely to see a model of a "lesser" pre-group company.

Excellent show with some first class exhibits. Well worth the visit and all for £5 including the programme. Well done all.

Thank you for this comment.  Next year, maybe you might be able to say hello...  I am the one with the Red Hat!

• RMweb Gold

Yet another cracking Basingstoke show.  It must represent be one of the best value show in the south (and probably the rest of England as well) because for a mere £5 to get in you get some absolutely superb layouts and top notch trade representation with the latter being more varied than ever this year.  Really the sort of show I would expect to be more crowded but for some odd reason it isn't and no problem in getting to see all I wanted to see of various layouts.

If you've never been to the Basingstoke show you're missing out on a real gem (and if you go tomorrow at least you won't have to put up with my ambitiously cack-handed shunting escapades on one particular layout).  Oh and the window on the 'bus is definitely fixed and the seats downstairs seem more comfortable.

PS Even the tea isn't bad.

Archived