new colour from Wilkinsons

Hi,

Some of you may know the 'tester pots' of emulsion paints at Wilko; the are 75ml and cost £1.00

I use them for an undercoat and for some weathering as well.

My latest visit for some colours for my wife to experiment with revealed a new colour 'Barely Black'. which I think will be useful as it is a dark grey with an overtone of brown.

Here is a small photo of the colour taken in the sun so its a bit 'warm'

post-8192-0-10561700-1476306305.jpg

Yours Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Some of you may know the 'tester pots' of emulsion paints at Wilko; the are 75ml and cost £1.00

I use them for an undercoat and for some weathering as well.

My latest visit for some colours for my wife to experiment with revealed a new colour 'Barely Black'. which I think will be useful as it is a dark grey with an overtone of brown.

Here is a small photo of the colour taken in the sun so its a bit 'warm'

attachicon.gifbarely black .jpg

Yours Peter

Looks like it might have uses for colouring neglected track and ballast - perhaps in loco maintenance areas?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Interesting.

Are these paints of reasonable quality? Good colour-fastness?

K

Hi,

Yes as far as I know, their primary use is house internior decoration, and are 'emulsion' paint - so are water thinnable and mixable, with other acrylic paints .

Yours Peter.

I use quite a few latex sample pots with some success on rolling stock here in the USA ...only problem colours are so far greens which require a deep base and are rather translucent requiring several coats.Lack of accurate colours for instance for SR buildings mean necessity is the mother of invention !

I bought some pots of Wilko acrylic paint the other day (black/grey/white clearance at 50p - Grifone pounced). The paint seems OK apart from being rather 'bitty'. This is fine for its intended use and for scenery etc. but not really fine enough for models.

This looks like an excellent 'crud' colour. Since I was going to Wilko today anyway, I'll investigate.

EDIT

Checking, it wasn't Wilko own brand.

Archived