Marcway Point question

Hi Guys

My pal has a fixed layout using a few Marcway points, and we want to try and upgrade the point in situ.

The lifting of the point is NOT an option.

The points are hand operated using the little black levers you get to throw Marcway points. Point motors is NOT an option.

Having spent some time looking at the points we have decided to try the following, my question is, will it work.??

We want to cut the switch blades with a dremel slitting disc. We would choose a position towards the Frog end of the switch blades where they are soldered to the sleepers.

To make the switch blades live with the polarity of the stock rail, we will solder over one of the breaks in the PCB on a sleeper where the switch blade is soldered to it. This is Not done on the frog side of the slit in the two rails.

Then to make the frog live we would propose bring power from a frog Juicer and soldering a wire to the copper surface of a PCB sleeper close to a frog rail so as just to bring the power to the frog rails only.

Will this work, and give him an electrically reliable point ???

Thanks

Bob

In simple terms yes, it is common to have a rail break between the switch/closer rails and the common crossing, with the switch rails being electrically connected to the stock rails and the common crossing having a separate feed which changes polarity according to the route taken

In simple terms yes, it is common to have a rail break between the switch/closer rails and the common crossing, with the switch rails being electrically connected to the stock rails and the common crossing having a separate feed which changes polarity according to the route taken

Thanks John

I am very familiar with peco code 75 electrofrog points having about 60 of them on my layout.

I use Frog juicers on my slips and 3 ways successfully.

I was trying to help my pal using this knowledge to see if I can help improve his layout, without having to lift parts of his track which I know he wouldn't want to do at any price.

I have just noticed you have a long running point making thread, and you have my utmost respect with the work I see you do, it's quite brilliant.

So going back to my question, what we proposed as an amendment to the Marcway points would in fact work ?

Thanks

Bob

Thanks John

So going back to my question, what we proposed as an amendment to the Marcway points would in fact work ?

Thanks

Bob

John answered you in his first 4 words

In simple terms yes,

I agree, that is what is often called a DCC friendly arrangement, and equally friendly for DC except yopu would use a simple switch rather than a frog juicer.

Regards

John answered you in his first 4 words

I agree, that is what is often called a DCC friendly arrangement, and equally friendly for DC except yopu would use a simple switch rather than a frog juicer.

Regards

Thanks Keith

Further confirmation that what we had thought through was in fact correct.....its just down now to whether my friend wants to make the necessary amendments.  Not everyone is like some of us, who jump straight in to get the problem sorted, my pal is more cautious and will think through all implications before embarking on anything.....which is good in some respects.

Many thanks guys........if we proceed with the task, I'll let you know the outcome.

Bob

Archived