How do you choose a DCC decoder

I need a DCC decoder for my Liliput V11 loco. It's a 2 axle narrow gauge shunter type loco. I have the v12 (identical bar the number) which is very happy with a DCX75N decoder from Ct Electrik. Since I bought that decoder they've bought out 2 others, the DCX76 and the DCX77, each smaller than the one before it. Of course with decreasing size, comes a decrease in current capability. The 75 is 1A constant 2A peak, and the 76/77 are both 0.8A constant, 1.6A peak. 

They are all essentially the same price, and should in theory all have enough grunt. But, the 77 is listed as suitable as z-n scale. H0e is 9mm gauge, the same as N. But the wagons aren't much smaller than H0 size. Does that mean there is extra strain on the loco to pull a number of the H0e wagons that would be too much for the 76/77? Is the extra 0.2A going to make enough of a difference? 

Put another way, how do you decide between DCC decoders? Which would you choose in this situation? and why? 

J

PS Yes there may be other decoders that are cheaper/more powerful/more compact/made of gold or some such. But I already have DCX75's in my other locos, and so I only have to learn one manual, I'd rather like to stick to just one decoder brand for now. 

As DM says above, its all down to the current draw of the motor.   A modern small motor is likely to be well under 0.25A at stall, so will be fine.   I'd expect a modern HOe model to work well a CT DCX76.

Its my experience of CT DCX75's that they start to mis-behave when the motor draws much over 0.25A, so the max current rating is somewhat irrelevant.    CT make superb decoders for small motors, but as motor size rises, I'd swap to Zimo.   

- Nigel

As DM says above, its all down to the current draw of the motor.   A modern small motor is likely to be well under 0.25A at stall, so will be fine.   I'd expect a modern HOe model to work well a CT DCX76.

Its my experience of CT DCX75's that they start to mis-behave when the motor draws much over 0.25A, so the max current rating is somewhat irrelevant.    CT make superb decoders for small motors, but as motor size rises, I'd swap to Zimo.   

- Nigel

I shall give the 76 a go then. I don't have the ability to measure the stall current unfortunately. 

Cheers for the help.

J

Archived