how would this operate in practice?

millerhillboy

I'm looking to replicate a local station that existed I the mid 60s in model form and have done research and found the following track diagram.

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=879

I'm only trying to replicate the area from the station up to the junction itself, so essentially the main lines and the siding (s) either side of the main lines.

I guess my question is how would these sidings work in practical terms. From what I understand the single parallel siding wasn't used much if at all. However the two sidings on the other side were in use.

I just can't work out how a train would move anything in and out of there effectively.

• RMweb Gold

Common enough that trains could only shunt sidings from one direction. A wagon (or train) needing to go in the other direction would have to travel some distance the wrong way until reaching somewhere that it could be sent back in the right direction.

Edit to add: Those sidings are quite long. You will need a lot of space for a model of this location.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Joseph, any down train can access them for shunting and trip work them to the next yard or station where they can be sorted for any up traffic. A down train. Would just stop clear of 20 points and reverse in once the route was set, it can then leave directly to Newhailes or Wanton.

• RMweb Gold

The siding by the Down Main looks like a refuge for shunting a train for another to pass.  

Before WW1 the facing siding from the Up Main, which actually serves a two-road goods yard, was a trailing siding worked by the box at Inveresk Station. There was also a trailing crossover at Inveresk Station. This box must have gone between the start of WW1 and 1925, but I can't find when at the moment.

Regarding working of the yard, this could only be done by a Down direction trip, which would cross over to shunt. that would be quite a puzzle, so I expect the method would be to arrange wagons for Inveresk at the front of the train and shunt it into the Down refuge. The wagons would then be uncoupled and shunted across into the yard. Wagons for despatch would be shunted around to get them next to the loco then incoming wagons would be positioned as necessary. The loco and outgoing wagons would then rejoin the rest of the train.

The locals would no doubt do a bit of positioning by pinch bar shunting if needed to get things where they wanted during loading and unloading.

Common enough that trains could only shunt sidings from one direction. A wagon (or train) needing to go in the other direction would have to travel some distance the wrong way until reaching somewhere that it could be sent back in the right direction.

Edit to add: Those sidings are quite long. You will need a lot of space for a model of this location.

It is N gauge but even at that I won't be replicating the size, nor even the junction at all. I intend to have some sort of soft back scene where the 4 lines will just appear from up to the station where the bridge over the station will act as the other scenic break.

My dad used to trainspot there as a lad hence my interest.

The siding by the Down Main looks like a refuge for shunting a train for another to pass.  

Before WW1 the facing siding from the Up Main, which actually serves a two-road goods yard, was a trailing siding worked by the box at Inveresk Station. There was also a trailing crossover at Inveresk Station. This box must have gone between the start of WW1 and 1925, but I can't find when at the moment.

Regarding working of the yard, this could only be done by a Down direction trip, which would cross over to shunt. that would be quite a puzzle, so I expect the method would be to arrange wagons for Inveresk at the front of the train and shunt it into the Down refuge. The wagons would then be uncoupled and shunted across into the yard. Wagons for despatch would be shunted around to get them next to the loco then incoming wagons would be positioned as necessary. The loco and outgoing wagons would then rejoin the rest of the train.

The locals would no doubt do a bit of positioning by pinch bar shunting if needed to get things where they wanted during loading and unloading.

Yes I picked up on the other pre-1925 setup with the crossover in the station from one of those historic map sites but the few actual pictures I have (1960s) don't show any crossing and my father never recalled a crossing.

Archived