Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Warley show

Now about three times I have enquired about items being introduced to the market over the Christmas period, I contacted the makers to try to find out some indication of supply dates and in all three cases they said I should wait till Warley, where they will be showing the items, and possibly in one case have the product for sale.

I said I was unable to attend the show, and in two cases was told that if I did not go I could not be that bothered, and one said we spend a lot of money to go to these shows, (which I well know), and If I did not bother then why should they.....The attitude was that they were doing me favours by selling the items at all.

I cannot go to Warley due to incapacity, house bound due to illness, I did not mention this, and they never queried it as to why "I would not bother". They were not rude, but were making somewhat arrogant assumptions about the queries.

I like to know when a product is available so that mail order can be arrange etc., pre order helps here a bit, but one track product is holding up all work on a layout. Rather than talk to the retailer I did contact the makers and they gave me dates etc., so that planning can now be done. Also they gave details that would be issued at Warley, which on their request remains confidential..A bit different to the other three suppliers.

Even local shows are too difficult to get to, and the thought of the hours on the train and getting across London twice in one day is just too much.

Is it a new idea to depend so much on showing the stuff before distribution at these shows? The magazines seem to fall in line with the process nowadays as well. Can't even get the magazines as WH Smiths have closed down in Medway.

No names of the People involved, just a general comment not specific complaint.

Stephen

Any news will get reported here or elsewhere on the 'net or maybe their own sites if you'd got specific suppliers in mind. The same as usual.

At present they may not know the answers to supply dates and await Warley to give the latest information.

The magazines seem to fall in line with the process nowadays as well. 

What do you mean by that? Magazines can only really report specific information when it's available; or should we make it up in advance?

• RMweb Premium

As Andy has said all the information will be on RMweb as it happens and no doubt a number of mail order railway model suppliers for you to place your order.

I may be able to get there this year, but there is little exact detail as to the transfer methods from the International railway station to the NEC in the adverts for the show,

Have any members here exact experience of the walkway and the distance to the hall from the station, does it involved steps or stairways, and which of the halls is used, looking at a plan on Goggle Earth. I can walk slowly but long distances are very painful.

Also If I arrive by train are there likely to be queues to the paydesks, as I cannot stand easily for long periods, and what is the situation in the exhibition in respect of seating, as I need to rest every so often strolling around the exhibits. Seating would be absolutely vital at regular intervals.

I have never been to the NEC so no experience of the place at all, any thoughts would be helpful, and help with planning the visit.

Stephen

I can now see hall 5 that is to be used, and it does not seem too far from the station, and the NEC seem confident that access is easy, but what about queues? Do pre booked tickets get access straight in as I am worried about getting trapped standing in a queue for any period. I don't want to be standing to retain a position when seating may be in view!! I see that they offer mobility scooters for hire from a subcontractor at the NEC, but would the use of these be practical in a MR show environment?

• RMweb Premium

Once the initial rush is over (the pre booked attendees start to be let in at 9:15 followed by the queue of other attendees) then access can include queueing for tickets but explain to a Club steward to get help. Mobility scooters are used in the hall (some of the Club members have them as well as other attendees.)

If you know when you may arrive let me know and I can pre warn the stewards on the door and on the information stand.

Baz

Afterthought. Sunday is a quieter day and it is a lot easier to get around the show.

• RMweb Gold

Arriving by rail is not too difficult - there are lifts available from the station platforms to concourse level if the stairs might be awkward for you but the biggest problem is crowds (or more correctly some of the people in them) so there might be a bit of pushing & shoving but this is really far more likely to be the case for you return journey.  So I would seriously suggest that you book a seat on the train in both directions and seek out any 1st Class bargain offers as well.

It is quite a distance from the station to Hall 5 with some steps/escalators and in one place a ramp in addition to steps.  You also need to pay heed to other shows which are on - the motorcycle show attracts some railborne attendees but must seem to comne by other means.  However the Saturday of Warley clashes with the BBC Good Food Show and that might make the trains even busier - another good reason for reserving a seat in both directions on the train.

I usually arrive on a  train which gets into International about 10 minutes before the doors open for those without advance tickets and i find that with careful selection of the queue I can usually spend only a  few minutes in the ticket office queue (study the signs as to which queue is which - the cash ones are a lot quicker).  From then on it is all relatively straightforward and I have seen a number of people on mobility scooters but if you do use one please learn how to steer it and watch where you aim it (some of those using them ought not to be as they either don't bother to or can't see where they are going).

I would recommend planning in advance where you want to go and which stands/traders/layouts etc that you want to see - it's a big show, it can get very busy and I don't think it's possible to see all of it in a day especially if you wish to spend lots of time at particular layouts or chatting with people.  I have never seen every stand at any Warley show I have been to - usually my legs/feet wear out before my interest although there are a reasonable amount of seating areas where you can get a rest although as ever they tend to get snaffled quickly whenever somebody gets up.

To be honest it's not my idea of the ideal model railway show as it is so big but it's great for meeting people and seeing things you might not get to see at other venues and the demos are definitely worth a look as you're likely to se some really interesting things. BUT, I repeat, do try to plan your visit in advance.  

Archived