RMweb

Windhoff MPV (DCC ON BOARD) issues

Luke Palmer

Hi all

Today I bought a windhoff MPV which was already fitted with DCC.

But I had a problem with the 21 pin decoder, it was not listening to my Hornby

Elite. I thought it must be a problem with the decoder, so I took it back to the

shop and exchanged it for a new one. Anyway when I got home I had exactly

The same problem, but this time, luckily I had found a Hornby 21 pin decoder.

So I plugged the decoder into the MPV, and it all worked perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

many thanks, Luke

...Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Not from that problem description!

What exactly did you do on receipt of the model? Ideally you will have put the model on DCC programme track, and changed the address from its default to the address you wanted to use for operating it. If the new address is accepted, that confirms that the decoder installation is good. (If you did this, was the failure to respond when you then tried to operate it on the newly set address?)

Now that you have established that the model is working with a different decoder, the only way to find out more is to reinstate the supplied decoder, and try again with an address change on programme track, and then test on DCC power to see if the decoder responds on the new address.

I do seem to recall that at least some of the MPV models had a problem with Bachmann's own decoders. The short-term answer was to fit a different manufacturer's decoder, but I'm not sure what Bachmann's longer-term fix was.

I do seem to recall that at least some of the MPV models had a problem with Bachmann's own decoders. The short-term answer was to fit a different manufacturer's decoder, but I'm not sure what Bachmann's longer-term fix was.

The Hornby Elite is not the Best System in the world, I would by a better system that is 100% NMRA compliant such as a Roco Multimaus.  Charlie

Archived