Hornby Class 50s

dj_crisp

Hi.

I'm just about to attempt to rewire my Hornby class 50s so they have independent tail lights to the headlights. I was thinking of just replacing the lot but I've had an idea which probably won't work.... as I know next to zero about electronics hopefully there is someone who knows better than me.

I want to replace the yellow marker lights with a standard warm white LED. So I plan to wire these directly to a function output of a 4 function decoder. Is it possible to therefore keep Hornbys rear lights using the circuit board running another blue wire direct from the decoder as will one circuit be negative and the other positive common?

I hope that makes sense

Thanks!

Will

Wiring independantly in parallel to the Hornby circuit board should not stop the Hornby board working as before.

When you say 'direct' - you did mean to include a protective resistor to control the current - and preferably, with 'independant wiring' - a series 14148 diode to protect agains reverse connection ????

White LEDs have a larger forward voltage drop than red or yellow - so if stacking white LEDs in series, you might be limited to 2 in series ?

And just a reminder: if it is an early Hornby 50 that has not been converted to DCC before - beware that early boards blew the decoders because thet were incorrectly wired. - replacements (were) available.

Hi Phil

Thanks for helping out. 

Sorry when i mean direct I do mean including resistors - By direct I mean creating a separate circuit for the marker lights using two functions (which as the decoder is wired I'll simply disconnect these from Hornby's board), and resistors but sharing the blue common. I was i thinking of just wiring in another blue common wire to the existing blue decoder wire.

I hope that puts across what I'm trying to do....? 

cheers

Will

Being a common return, you can wire in as many parallel connections to the blue wire as your decoder and its functions can handle. Consider the blue wire as a bus wire for the accessories (read: lights).

Archived