The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fireworks

tamperman36

• RMweb Premium

Mentioned this to my Dad this morning. His words, not mine.

"What this country needs is a bloody good war. Get all these layabout no-gooders off the streets and give them a bit of discipline and a sense of responsibility. If they're lucky enough to come back alive, they'll be a decent human being, not an idiot".

Fair enough...

:O

No, its not fair enough. Take a read of Andy Y's thread in Wheeltappers, entitled 'A Trip to Remember'! Its just an appalling waste of lives.

No, its not fair enough. Take a read of Andy Y's thread in Wheeltappers, entitled 'A Trip to Remember'! Its just an appalling waste of lives.

Your opinion, and that's absolutely fine. I was merely recounting his opinion to which he is perfectly entitled. As a man in his late 80s who lived though the Blitz, I feel rather unqualified to challenge that opinion hence the "fair enough" comment. The little emoticon should have alerted you to the fact that I may not entirely agree with his comments, but I guess that went over your head.

I would be happy to leave it at that, but I'm afraid I can't. What riles me is that you think you have the right to tell me what I should and should not read. You're wrong. You don't.

No, its not fair enough. 

Your opinion, and that's absolutely fine.

Gents, let's not do this today.

We're straying a long way from easy access to fireworks in order to celebrate the failure a four-century-old attempt on Parliament* (layered on top of the religious issues of the times).

* Or perhaps something deeper in the collective consciousness that is more primal and dare I say 'pagan' in origin, as many of the anecdotal tales of mischief suggest to me. 

Archived