• RMweb Gold

Well a bit later than I'd hoped but here's a rather dodgy sketch of what I'm planning to start with

ACA30AA9-8747-4DD5-93A3-0B0BBC0D7E2E_zps

The three siding to the top of the drawing will be in a pretty ex steam run down state an apart from that I'm not sure how the rest will fall into place but at least I've decided on this :O

Cheers

Hope this is helpful not sounding life a rivet counter !!!) 

Many fuelng points on model railways look "toy like " as they put the fuel point in the corner on the block . So you can only fuel one loco .

BR allowed up to 5 coupled and it at least needs to allow locos in multi (x2) to visit together . 

They certainly add movement as you have to shunt on / off fuel road 

If you look at edge hill there was still lots of wagons about in the various yards in the 1980's and of course carriages in downhill sidings (still are) .

You could also consider a "repaint point" for defects .  There was a small one at Runcorn on the Up (now car park) even in the 1980's .

Small space and you can put any vehicle (coach /wagon)  in there for repair .

• RMweb Gold

Hope this is helpful not sounding life a rivet counter !!!) 

Many fuelng points on model railways look "toy like " as they put the fuel point in the corner on the block . So you can only fuel one loco .

BR allowed up to 5 coupled and it at least needs to allow locos in multi (x2) to visit together . 

They certainly add movement as you have to shunt on / off fuel road 

If you look at edge hill there was still lots of wagons about in the various yards in the 1980's and of course carriages in downhill sidings (still are) .

You could also consider a "repaint point" for defects .  There was a small one at Runcorn on the Up (now car park) even in the 1980's .

Small space and you can put any vehicle (coach /wagon)  in there for repair .

Don't worry I count rivets all the time and I totally feel the same regarding the toy like appearance, the fuel point is a huge bug bare with me as I know I'd need at least enough room for two locos or more and it will have to be a through road, I could have half off scene though.

Similar with the main holding sidings I want the shortest to hold at least 4 40's/Peaks as anything less just won't look right, not easy in 7mm, but it looks good in my mind haha.

Thanks again mate it's much appreciated, cheers

How long have you decided on for the layout mate, 4 class 40's is around 6and half foot plus a foot a point for the 2 on the left then if you want 2 locos in shortest siding that's another 3and half say so around 12 feet min really I'd stick within 10 for it to be workable 2 5foot x2 foot boards

It's shorter but a lot more workable

Ha just my 2 bobs worth lol

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How long have you decided on for the layout mate, 4 class 40's is around 6and half foot plus a foot a point for the 2 on the left then if you want 2 locos in shortest siding that's another 3and half say so around 12 feet min really I'd stick within 10 for it to be workable 2 5foot x2 foot boards

It's shorter but a lot more workable

Ha just my 2 bobs worth lol

Brian

I think the firsts boards I do will have no point work on at all as the sidings would just be to short and unrealistic, like I mentioned above I want the shortest siding to hold at least 4 locos so I recon it'll be like this dodgy drawing.

DEF1F588-D627-42EA-96DD-B5145EAE9BDD_zps

At least that way it'll look realistic and will give me good photo opportunities :)

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it’s been a while since I posted on this thread mostly due to life taking over but it’s all been in a good way. Since I last posted we’ve just finally moved house and I’ve finally got a garage (although it’s full of the Mrs’s crap at the moment) and in September I finally fulfilled my dream of getting a job on the railway, this has been the main reason I’ve hardly done any modelling at all as I’ve got six months intense training. But as as soon hopefully start getting more time on my hands this idea might be springing back into life...

post-18716-0-44745000-1546631274_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-97739200-1546631295_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-47000000-1546631317_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-51742500-1546631338_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'Day Folks

Don't forget Peterborough's fuel point, just a nice little glass shed, (same as Kings Cross)

manna

Thanks Manna I’ve got the fuel point base with puts in order so hopefully they’ll arrive this month fingers crossed and I know most of the track plan I’m just not sure on other bits.

Cheers