Superdetailing Hornby Railroad A1 Flying Scotsman

Guest TomTank

Guest TomTank

Hi all

I'm interested in superdetailing a rail road flying scotsman, not too bothered about altering the motion and that, more adding brake pipes, foot steps to cosmetically make it look more in keeping with my other locos?

Cheers

Tom

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How good is the haulage capacity of the railroad flying scotsman? And does it use track tyres?

It utilizes the same chassis as the super detailed one, complete with flangeless cartazzi wheels, minus the valve gear of the super detail one, and the tender. That, is literally, it.

You can in theory use spare parts from a company which stocks the china-made spare parts, on the bodyshells (which is essentially the old tender drive bodyshell), and you can remove the moulded on handrails for new wire ones if needs be. Other than that, and possibly cutting the tender body down to size (Graeme King did this on a whim for the W1 model I commissioned), there's little else which needs doing. The basic proportions of the locomotive body are very similar to the super detail bodies.

That said - they retail for £48, and it's not too much of a stretch to say you could get a decent "Ladas" or similar second hand for twenty/thirty quid more than that. Overall, the project would probably cost the same as buying one super detail one second hand.

If you want to do it, I say go for it. The chassis is very nicely done - I reccomend the railroad A4 chassis mind, off the Mallard model - best £40 I've spent, a really sweetly running DCC fitted chassis. Glad they delayed production on that to get it right, I wasn't happy at the time but I am now! :)

Thanks for that, but any idea what they are like for pulling power. I bought the railroad black 5, and had to add some lead weight to it as anything over a couple of coaches it was wheel spinning.

I had no problem with my Railroad Scotsman - it would easily pull 6+ coaches, but I havent tested it to the limit. If you want real pulling power, then the tender is still basically the old tender drive Scotsman with the 'innards' removed. I put a powered tender unit in addition to the powered loco - this pulled 16 coaches very happily and even up a slight incline with no hint of slipping.

I would agree with the earlier replies that it is a very nice chassis as supplied. I would also be interested in any additional detailing kits if anyone is aware of them - but £48 is very steep when the original loco cost me much less than that!

I've not got the railroad but the high detail - THese shift 14+ MK1 Bachmann which were ensured to be free running and the weight removed.

The railroad model will be hammpered by the "dead weigh of the tender".

Tom you can get bits to bring it up to the standard of the High detail model (east kent models). Brakegear from mainly trains

Archived