Far Yard - A micro first Attempt in O gauge.

birdseyecircus

Hi Paul.

This is looking great. It's amazing how much can be squeezed into a small space, with some ingenuity. My micro, Scotland Street, is massive by comparison at 8' x1'!

I'm keen to see how you get on with 02 kit. I haven't plucked up courage for a whitemetal kit yet - everything has been etched brass or plastic, so do please keep us posted.

David

Hi David. Thanks for your comments. I have been looking in at Scotland street. Its coming along great.

I have been filing on and off during the day. The main body is done.

However the frame is taking some doing. Not helped by huge pips remaining from the casting process.

Paul

post-6856-0-71473100-1482426059_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

If I were you I would buy some good quality side cutters to remove most of the casting pips, then it takes just minutes to clean up to a smooth finish, much better than clogging up files.

http://www.pedby.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Multi-Functional-Jewelry-Electrical-Wire-Cable-Cutters-Cutting-Side-Snips-Flush-Pliers-Hand-Tools-Pliers-For-2.jpg

HTH,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hi Paul,

If I were you I would buy some good quality side cutters to remove most of the casting pips, then it takes just minutes to clean up to a smooth finish, much better than clogging up files.

http://www.pedby.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Multi-Functional-Jewelry-Electrical-Wire-Cable-Cutters-Cutting-Side-Snips-Flush-Pliers-Hand-Tools-Pliers-For-2.jpg

HTH,

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn. I did end up cutting them off with side cutters in the end. You can see in the picture those casting pips are on an edge which overhangs by a smidge. On the other side that ledge is very slightly more pronounced.

Once snipped off and filed down, the ledge  loses some of its depth so I will have to rub down the area just underneath it to make it stand out more.

Hopefully I can resume later tomorrow after Christmas errands etc.

I just found this thread for my 02 kit as well so that will help. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99123-rm-webbrm-challenge-kitbuild-0-gauge-class-02-diesel/

Paul

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

Glad you started a thread for this little project. I too bought a Dapol 08 (already owning a Bachmann sound fitted 08) Now I'm saving for the sound decoder for the Dapol. I've long been an admirer of small / micro layouts, as those on here who know me will verify.

My own O gauge micro "Poynton Sneer" is only 4'11" and that includes a run-round loop (or half of one) and fiddle yard. For that, I used second-hand, kit built copperclad, short radius points. So I for one can't wait till Peco release their Set-track O gauge points. I think we will definitely see a lot of O gauge micro projects since the release of the Dapol 08. Please finish this project asap - as I can't wait to see the completed result :)

Nice :)

Cheers now 
Marc

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

Glad you started a thread for this little project. I too bought a Dapol 08 (already owning a Bachmann sound fitted 08) Now I'm saving for the sound decoder for the Dapol. I've long been an admirer of small / micro layouts, as those on here who know me will verify.

My own O gauge micro "Poynton Sneer" is only 4'11" and that includes a run-round loop (or half of one) and fiddle yard. For that, I used second-hand, kit built copperclad, short radius points. So I for one can't wait till Peco release their Set-track O gauge points. I think we will definitely see a lot of O gauge micro projects since the release of the Dapol 08. Please finish this project asap - as I can't wait to see the completed result :)

Nice :)

Cheers now 

Marc

Hi Marc. Thanks for the comments. I have seen many of your micros - all good stuff.

Yes the current peco points are huge for micro layouts so it will be interesting to see the new set track points.

Iam not sure what Far Yard will end up like. I will add some low relief buildings at some point - maybe at the expense of the provender store.

An extension is on my mind for later as I would like to run a mainline loco. ( I have a Heljan class 26 sat in its box)

I am just making things up as I go along with no firm plan! ( and having a great time in O gauge)

Paul

• Like 3

I got bored of filing!

So had a go at the chassis on the 02.

I now have a free wheeling chassis which I have sprayed black.

Motor to fix next - maybe tomorrow.

Another new arrival today was a green 08! I have got the missus to wrap it up so as not tempted whilst I crack on with the 02.

Paul

• Like 3

Hello folks. I hope you were all good for Santa!

I have fitted the motor and wired it up and it runs great just a little noise from the gears in one direction. I have had it raised up and attached power with crocodile clips to the feeds. I left it running for 15 mins in each direction.

I did have a disaster in that I lost one of the tiny nuts which go on the coupling rods. Despite my best efforts in sweeping the carpet with a magnet I failed to locate it and all rescue efforts have been abandoned!

The crazy part is i know he can see me and is screaming at me to pick him up!!

Another issue is that we have a converted loft which is cold at this time of year. I noticed today that after having the slaters wheels out of the packet for 3 days now they are gaining spots of rust on the rims here and there.

Is this normal for these types of wheels?

Paul

Another issue is that we have a converted loft which is cold at this time of year. I noticed today that after having the slaters wheels out of the packet for 3 days now they are gaining spots of rust on the rims here and there.

Is this normal for these types of wheels?

Paul

Yep, that's about normal for Slaters wheels, I find the best thing to do is chemically blacken them followed by a slight polish with some light machine oil.

Martyn.

It`ll be interesting to see how you get on with this,as i keep thinking of getting one myself if only to model one of two that were used at a local(ish) freight transfer yard in the 80`s/90`s called Pensnett.

post-19751-0-71399300-1482872287_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 6

Nice picture Brian. If you are impatient there is this 02 thread which is part of the RM web challenge http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99123-rm-webbrm-challenge-kitbuild-0-gauge-class-02-diesel/

It details things a little better than I have.

I was still having issues with tidying up the castings and the small needle files clogging up. So I went to Wilkinsons and bought a large file and small wire brushes. This has done the trick and the body and cab now sit on the chassis better than they did.

Although I am only part way through the build this has already given me confidence to maybe tackle a brass wagon kit - if only to save time on just filling castings to tidy them up!

In other news my green Dapol 08 with stripes has been fitted with a Zimo active drive sound file.

Paul

• Like 2

I have been cracking on with the 02 during the last couple of days. I fitted all the handrails including the end verandas.

I managed to come through the buffer beam tops on both occasions whilst fitting the uprights so will have to tidy that up later!

post-6856-0-69853700-1483375904_thumb.jpg

Next all the remaing white metal parts were fitted apart from brakes to the chassis and the wipers.

post-6856-0-37810100-1483375995_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-43162400-1483376064_thumb.jpg

After some adjustments to the pickups it ran well if a little noisy. Rather pleased with myself. Another loco to add to the stable.

post-6856-0-00967300-1483376261_thumb.jpg

Just needs a wash in soapy water and painting!

Paul

• Like 11

Nice picture Brian. If you are impatient there is this 02 thread which is part of the RM web challenge http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99123-rm-webbrm-challenge-kitbuild-0-gauge-class-02-diesel/

It details things a little better than I have.

Paul

Thanks paul,

It`s not so much about being impatient ,more like i have other stuff i`d like to buy,as this is more of an indulance!.

Nice work so far though.

Brian.

Thanks paul,

It`s not so much about being impatient ,more like i have other stuff i`d like to buy,as this is more of an indulance!.

Nice work so far though.

Brian.

Hi Brian. thanks for the comments. It was ok - ish to build as you may gather from previous postings the amount of filing to get the castings tidied up was a little tedious. I guess each one they make will have different amounts for the buyer to file off. I might try a brass wagon kit later to compare building techniques.

I forgot to mention that I need to buy a replacement nut for the wheel and also once its painted to fit a decoder. I wont be adding lights as that's a whole new ball game!

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Flush glazing is fiddly but worth trying on the 02 as the cab sides are quite thick. I put a sticky label over glazing material, traced the window outlines onto the label,cut round these, removed the label then fixed the windows in place [canopy glue a good option]. Other methods probably available but no-one seems to make a ready to fit set.

Dava

Flush glazing is fiddly but worth trying on the 02 as the cab sides are quite thick. I put a sticky label over glazing material, traced the window outlines onto the label,cut round these, removed the label then fixed the windows in place [canopy glue a good option]. Other methods probably available but no-one seems to make a ready to fit set.

Dava

Thanks for the tip Dava. I will try that when the time comes.

Paul

.......Yes the current peco points are huge for micro layouts so it will be interesting to see the new set track points.

........ I will add some low relief buildings at some point - maybe at the expense of the provender store.

.....An extension is on my mind for later as I would like to run a mainline loco.....

Paul

Hi Paul,

All looking good though, and glad to hear you're having fun in O gauge - that's what the hobby is all about :)

Re the Provendor store, I once had the chance to pick one up second-hand without the box. It was a good price, but I dithered, as I usually make most buildings myself. However, my dithering meant it sold! I had thought about chopping the building in half, down the middle - to make it into 2x low relief buildings, but for the Provendor store, this means cutting the doorway down the middle... not the end of the world, but it means you then have to make another doorway and disguise the old one.

I also thought about cutting it just behind the door - so it's about 3/4 the total depth, and you end up with a small lean-to building as well.... Might sound like a drastic measure, but you may also get a more useful building from it, for a low-relief / min space situation. I have cut / adapted these resin buildings before - you need to use a hacksaw blade, and be sure to cut carefully and in a straight line. Sometimes, bashing a ready to plant building can produce a great result (Black Rat / Neil did this very effectively with a bunch of OO buildings a few years back)

I'm sure we'll  see a few more ready to plant buildings in future, as there's definitely a growing market for the scale :)

EDIT: I always recommend modellers have a go at building at least one or two scratchbuilt buildings though - even if it's only a small, simple shed or outbuilding. I think it just helps develop your modelling skills and knowledge and you can end up with a very satisfying result, and a unique structure on the layout..... Another one to think about kit-bashing, is the old Metcalfe O Gauge goods shed -  if you can get your hands on one. It's a huge shame they discontinued their O gauge range. Maybe the recent developments in the scale will mean they'll resurrect their O gauge kits?

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Hi Paul,

All looking good though, and glad to hear you're having fun in O gauge - that's what the hobby is all about :)

Re the Provendor store, I once had the chance to pick one up second-hand without the box. It was a good price, but I dithered, as I usually make most buildings myself. However, my dithering meant it sold! I had thought about chopping the building in half, down the middle - to make it into 2x low relief buildings, but for the Provendor store, this means cutting the doorway down the middle... not the end of the world, but it means you then have to make another doorway and disguise the old one.

I also thought about cutting it just behind the door - so it's about 3/4 the total depth, and you end up with a small lean-to building as well.... Might sound like a drastic measure, but you may also get a more useful building from it, for a low-relief / min space situation. I have cut / adapted these resin buildings before - you need to use a hacksaw blade, and be sure to cut carefully and in a straight line. Sometimes, bashing a ready to plant building can produce a great result (Black Rat / Neil did this very effectively with a bunch of OO buildings a few years back)

I'm sure we'll  see a few more ready to plant buildings in future, as there's definitely a growing market for the scale :)

EDIT: I always recommend modellers have a go at building at least one or two scratchbuilt buildings though - even if it's only a small, simple shed or outbuilding. I think it just helps develop your modelling skills and knowledge and you can end up with a very satisfying result, and a unique structure on the layout..... Another one to think about kit-bashing, is the old Metcalfe O Gauge goods shed -  if you can get your hands on one. It's a huge shame they discontinued their O gauge range. Maybe the recent developments in the scale will mean they'll resurrect their O gauge kits?

Hi Marc, personally I have never liked the Metcalfe kits, they don,t have realistic finish to them, however I have seen some of them covered by Scalescenes papers and the transformation is astounding, so if they brought there O scale kits back I may be tempted.

Cheers, Pete. 

Hi Paul,

Hi Marc. I do intend to build some low relief stuff. I have the plasticard already but as you well know when you go to do something you end up playing trains and before you know were you are an hour has passed!

As well as the plasticard I also have some doors and windows bought cheap from a toy & train fair.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Marc, personally I have never liked the Metcalfe kits, they don,t have realistic finish to them, however I have seen some of them covered by Scalescenes papers and the transformation is astounding, so if they brought there O scale kits back I may be tempted.

Cheers, Pete. 

Yes, I know the Metcalfe kits can look a bit unrealistic in their bare form.

But as you say, a bit of detailing or colouring, some covering and adaption, and they can look good.

Also, I really do like the colours & tones of the inside brickwork on that O gauge goods shed. I've long thought about doing the inside of a loco depot - just as a quick project, using only that material. Carefully lit & presented, I think it's quite passable, even without much work doing to it....

Don't know if you saw this pic in my thread (sorry for poor quality mobile pic btw) but I messed up a larger building I was making - so I cut it up, and re-used the bits. I wanted to try to do some "laminating" to create a rough cast / concrete type rendering, where bits of render had fallen off.....

I was thinking of adapting a Metcalfe kit in this fashion, for your micro layout.... or some other "rendering" surface or embossed card paper you may wish to try

post-2973-0-04767600-1483543711_thumb.jpg

• Like 6