Must Have Tools

Couple of questions. What is an Olfa cutter? I googled it and found rotary cutters like one I have for wall paper. Or do you mean the things with the snap-off blades?

Look for the Olfa PC-L tool (per my post #26 on this thread).

They're a proprietary version of what used to be called a 'scrawker' that involved controlled violence to a hacksaw blade

Eileen's Emporium still sells a similar tool under that name.  It's not the Olfa one, though; I can't offer any comparison in terms of quality, robustness etc.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! :D

I'm pretty new to all this and have no idea what I am doing :P

I've watched a few videos and read a few online articles on how to begin.  I've drawn a track plan, I've got some trains, I've got some space, which will soon be cleared so I'm all set to give it a go!

However, looking to get into digital as soon as possible so most of my money will go to converting the trains.

• RMweb Premium

Couple of questions. What is an Olfa cutter? I googled it and found rotary cutters like one I have for wall paper. Or do you mean the things with the snap-off blades?

Cheapest on Ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLFA-WINDOW-TINTING-FITTING-TOOL-ACRYLIC-CUTTER-WITH-2-CUTTERS-PC-L-/111931812709?hash=item1a0fa7eb65:g:wGIAAOSwgn5XFK8E

A wonderful trawl through all the suggestions-I failed to see something I consider essential for model building, which is indispensable for me.

An LED vernier caliper is the most useful tool for marking out and measuring-especially checking etched kit construction as the build progresses, for accurate marking out plastic and metal sheet, for checking drawing dimensions, and for all measuring work.  Even more so when graduating to machines.

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting topic indeed.

I`ve always been a `kitchen table` modeller and one of the best `gadgets` my son ever bought me was a `Warhammer` wooden workstration..........

post-17779-0-15500600-1479809017_thumb.jpg

The chicken supervisor is optional !!

Then when you retire the workstration needs a `man shed` plus heater

post-17779-0-81211400-1479808955_thumb.jpg

John

• RMweb Premium

I was sceptical too.  Then I needed to scribe a lot of paving stones in plasticard, but didn't have much success with my normal range of tools.  So I bought an Olfa and it worked brilliantly.

DT

Archived