The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Question - TV aerial sockets & diplexers

Ron Ron Ron

In the past, I've replaced a single outlet TV wall socket, fed by a single co-ax cable (down lead from the aerial), with a twin outlet diplexer fitted socket.

The twin outlet being marked and used by me, for both TV and FM/DAB.

(n.b. I have a distribution amplifier in the loft which combines TV and FM/DAB signals from their separate respective aerials).

My father-in-law now wants to replace one of his TV sockets with a twin outlet version, but for use with 2 TV receivers....replacing an in-line co-ax splitter for neatness and less clutter.

There is a single co-ax cable from the aerial, feeding the socket.

I've been searching for a suitable twin outlet socket, but all I can find is....

1. Diplexer sockets marked TV and FM/DAB on the respective outlets (the type I have used before myself)...or...

2. Twin sockets, both in marked (TV) and unmarked form, but which are designed to be used with two separate co-ax aerial feeds (i.e. no splitter or diplexer).

There doesn't appear to be any type of splitter, or diplexer twin socket designed for splitting a single co-ax TV aerial feed to two TV outlets, or at least marked as TV outlets.

My questions are....

1. Can the TV + FM/DAB type of diplexer socket be used as a TV + TV socket, without any undue effect on the quality of the TV signal?

In other words, is the diplexer circuitry designed to filter the signal provided to the outlet marked as "FM" or "FM/DAB", in a way that would be detrimental to the quality of a TV signal (i.e. optimised to extract an FM/DAB signal)?

2. As the TV signals are now digital, does it matter anymore, or are there other issues in play?

Ron

If one of the two TV receivers has the provision to take the coax feed through by in and out sockets, I would suggest connecting serially.

I have had cause to look at a few co-ax splitters over the past ten years, as the terrestrial digital roll out revealed their shortcomings previously concealed by poor reception and/or signal quality, interference and cheap TV set tuners. That's both in-lead types and twin socket wall plate; and without exception they were to the 'Lima standard' of wiring construction. Factory floor sweepings 'assembled' by someone who couldn't solder.

If a TV signal is passed down a single cable, then split into 2 feeds for separate TVs, then each TV only receives 1/2 the original signal. You actually need to amplify the signal before splitting it to eliminate this loss. (I could describe it in more technical form, but am keeping it simple).

And yes you can buy these devices, probably the easiest High St. supplier would be Maplins? (There will be much cheaper sources though, but as I'm at work I'm unable to search). Usually they come with multiple o/ps, probably around 6 or so, and with a 240v supply to power the amp.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart.

I'm fully aware of the signal loss issues with an analogue TV signal, but I have no idea if it's as much an issue, if an issue at all, with today's digital signals.

An amplifier is exactly the opposite of what he wants....removal of clutter.

I believe there may be a booster in his loft anyway.

cheers

Ron

Archived