Switches for point motors

michaelp

I am going to be building a control panel soon with track diagram and points indicators but have a question regarding switching the point motors, am I correct in thinking that if I use push buttons I would need two for each point whereas a SPDT toggle switch with switch both routes?

Electrics and electronics are not my strongest subjects but I can usually muddle my way through when pointed in the right direction.

Any advice would much appreciated

Michael 

Yes, you are correct for solinoids. Two PB of the non locking press to make variety are needed - One for the Normal and one for the Reverse positions of the point motor.  Where a cross-over pair of points are to be operated you can use three PBs, one each in the straight routes which are linked together and one in the cross over direction. While one in each of the straight routes may seem excessive it simply means pressing either one on the mimic plan sets the cross-over point back to straight ahead route.

If you opt for toggle switches ensure they are of the sprung to centre off type often referenced as (On)-Off-(On) where the bracketed (On) can't remain On when the switches lever is released. 

Some have used conventional locking toggle switches with a PB wired before each switch. Set the switch to the direction needed then press the PB to operate the point motor.  They say the switches lever gives a visual indication to the points position. IMO if panel LED indications are used which are from a point motor operated switch then the LED gives the indication even if the toggle lever has sprung back to the middle Off position as in the first sprung switch  option.

A look at my point wiring in the link may help you further?... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you are correct for solinoids. Two PB of the non locking press to make variety are needed - One for the Normal and one for the Reverse positions of the point motor.  Where a cross-over pair of points are to be operated you can use three PBs, one each in the straight routes which are linked together and one in the cross over direction. While one in each of the straight routes may seem excessive it simply means pressing either one on the mimic plan sets the cross-over point back to straight ahead route.

If you opt for toggle switches ensure they are of the sprung to centre off type often referenced as (On)-Off-(On) where the bracketed (On) can't remain On when the switches lever is released. 

Some have used conventional locking toggle switches with a PB wired before each switch. Set the switch to the direction needed then press the PB to operate the point motor.  They say the switches lever gives a visual indication to the points position. IMO if panel LED indications are used which are from a point motor operated switch then the LED gives the indication even if the toggle lever has sprung back to the middle Off position as in the first sprung switch  option.

A look at my point wiring in the link may help you further?... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

I quite like this way of operating (with a push button to "fire"). If you use a powerful enough CDU (capacitor discharge), you can set the route and then change all at once.

As Brian says, this means that your toggle witches can be set out like the levers in a signal box and, as I mentioned above, if you use multi-pole switches, the other poles can be used to interlock routes and signals. It's a rather traditional way of doing things but I like it as it matches well with a steam-era layout.

Archived