No Barrier Level Crossings

D854_Tiger

When I was up there the other week I worked that crossing, it's treadle operated in the mallaig direction and train crew operated in the other direction iirc

EDIT: as already pointed out above!!

When my dad was the local bobby in fairbourne in the 80s he used to book people for abusing that crossing quite regularly!

the crossing in Fairbourne is actually an AOC-L (B), automatic open crossing with barriers, the only one on the cambrian as it happens

As for completly open crossing there is one on the approach to sugar loaf (Builth rd side) that is completly open, no barriers, that one comes straight off the main road, the approach speed is 10mph, its shown in the sectional appendix as an open crossing, i dont sign down there (yet) but as ive passed it a few times in my car en route to south wales i noticed it as its so unusual

berthddu crossing

IMG_2775.png

IMG_2776.png

I first travelled the HoW back in the 1970s.

I can't remember where but there was at least one no barrier crossing (with lights and siren) where the train was required to come to a complete halt, sound its horn and then proceed if clear.

This particular crossing had very good visibility of the road either way, a good third of a mile of unobstructed view, needless to say there wasn't a car in sight, it looked like the kind of road that had as few cars as there were trains but, none the less, procedure was strictly adhered to, quite impressive really.

There we were in glorious isolation but still the rule book reigned supreme, seemingly for little reason, but I guess after dark it might have been a different story.

• RMweb Gold

When I was up there the other week I worked that crossing, it's treadle operated in the mallaig direction and train crew operated in the other direction iirc

EDIT: as already pointed out above!!

When my dad was the local bobby in fairbourne in the 80s he used to book people for abusing that crossing quite regularly!

the crossing in Fairbourne is actually an AOC-L (B), automatic open crossing with barriers, the only one on the cambrian as it happens

As for completly open crossing there is one on the approach to sugar loaf (Builth rd side) that is completly open, no barriers, that one comes straight off the main road, the approach speed is 10mph, its shown in the sectional appendix as an open crossing, i dont sign down there (yet) but as ive passed it a few times in my car en route to south wales i noticed it as its so unusual

berthddu crossing

IMG_2775.png

There used to be  (and may well still be) three Open Crossings (within the correct meaning of that term) on the Central Wales Line - Bertthddu, Llanwrda, and Glanrhyd.  As Open Crossings they had (and presumably still have?) no road warning signals of any sort other than standard signs, i.e. no flashing red lights.  There presence was one of the reasons why trains on the Central Wales were required to have a working headlight.

Sounds like my contribution to this thread wasn't terribly helpful if there are barriers there now. When were they installed?

There are treadles, most obvious on the Ft Wm side, as can be seen here on Google Streetview https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.9683871,-5.8217469,3a,75y,186.35h,74.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRKaN_VuLFMtUZTlKNIJ8mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (just before the cattle-grid timbers on the RHS rail).  Although on one occasion,  I was stopped at the crossing for an extended length of time, when I knew there wasn't a train due, so I phoned the box.  They said it was due to the inspection land-rover not being able to operate the track circuits.  So are there track circuits for activation and treadles for cancelling the crossing sequence?

BTW What were you up here for, Jim?

From about 3/4 of the way down this page http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/westword/august2014.html

2014aug11.jpg

First train through the new level crossing barriers at Morar was The Jacobite on Sunday July 27th 2014.

Thanks to Phil Hunkin for the photo.

• RMweb Gold

There used to be  (and may well still be) three Open Crossings (within the correct meaning of that term) on the Central Wales Line - Bertthddu, Llanwrda, and Glanrhyd.  As Open Crossings they had (and presumably still have?) no road warning signals of any sort other than standard signs, i.e. no flashing red lights.  There presence was one of the reasons why trains on the Central Wales were required to have a working headlight.

the sectional appendix shows those 3 still as open crossings, Llanwrda in the up has a stop board, presumably because the crossing is on the platform end (not been that far along the line!)

BTW What were you up here for, Jim?

traction conducting one of the NR test trains, a whole 10mins in mallaig after dark, thankfully co-op was open though!

traction conducting one of the NR test trains, a whole 10mins in mallaig after dark, thankfully co-op was open though!

Thanks Jim.  Found your pictures on here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70783-jims-down-by-the-tracks-with-colas-thread/page-147&do=findComment&comment=2472720 

I'd forgotten they were Colas 37s on that, though I do remember seeing you taking the pictures!  Was that after the landslide?

(Apologies, this is :offtopic: )

Edit: Yes it was well after the landslide, that was on August 12th http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37057499

• RMweb Premium

Twelve open crossings, as well as an AOCL (the A259 at Brooklands), and the rather curious 'train-man-operated one' at Lydd. This latter seems to serve no apparent purpose, as the main road runs adjacent to it on a bridge.

The level crossing at Lydd was installed during WW2 as the road bridge was not strong enough to cary some sort military equipment based in the area.

Not heavy rail but not a tram either, there are five on the Metro system, Callerton, Bank Foot, Kingston Park and Fawdon on the Airport Branch and at Howdon on the North Riverside section. Trains every 12 minutes each way, and the Kingston Park road is particulary busy what with it being next to an out of town shopping complex.

Not heavy rail but not a tram either, there are five on the Metro system, Callerton, Bank Foot, Kingston Park and Fawdon on the Airport Branch and at Howdon on the North Riverside section. Trains every 12 minutes each way, and the Kingston Park road is particulary busy what with it being next to an out of town shopping complex.

In mitigation, firstly they are all at stations so speed will be slow, and secondly the Metrocars have magnetic track brakes so can stop more quickly than a train can. 

There's an open crossing controlled by lights at the entrance to Clitheroe Cement Works.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.885385,-2.3845163,3a,75y,77.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szf_R2vNNifH42SSnt0_jKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Pretty certain the lights are operated manually by ground staff with this box.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8854616,-2.3845896,3a,75y,270h,77.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfyWnNV8LaJwMSjjr90wz9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Usually one train per day, six days per week

Cheers,

Mick

There is an old railtrack sign on the mainline side of the crossing that says railtrack are only responsible for the maintenance of the railway up to this point. Does that mean the crossing is not part of the national network and doesn't need to follow network regulations?

• RMweb Premium

There is an old railtrack sign on the mainline side of the crossing that says railtrack are only responsible for the maintenance of the railway up to this point. Does that mean the crossing is not part of the national network and doesn't need to follow network regulations?

If they're regulations as opposed to NR's internal rules and practices presumably they apply to whoever happens to be responsible for that bit of railway.

• RMweb Gold

The level crossing at Lydd was installed during WW2 as the road bridge was not strong enough to cary some sort military equipment based in the area.

Was the crossing at Lydd ever wheel worked as there are cranks on the gates spindles in the pits?

Also unusual (pain) that four gates are hand worked

Archived