Gaugemaster HH controller?

spikey

I'm working myself up into a suitable state to prize open the piggy bank and invest in a Gaugemaster HH walkabout controller.  That's the feedback one, and the reason I fancy one of those is how much I liked its predecessor 30 years ago.

Locos are RM Sentinel, Bachmann 57XX and Bachmann 1F, all of which are usually run either slowly or very slowly.  I'm very unlikely to ever have anything with a coreless motor, so is there any good reason why I should go for the non-feedback version instead?

I have used these with even 6v micromotors successfully. And also with Portescaps. The only discernible difference I have found is that motors tend to run warmer and noisier, perhaps due to the feedback. I also use Pentrollers, Picktrollers, KPC and AMR ones but always find the Gaugemaster HH's as good as any. The final clincher could be their lifetime warranty ...... I used one to control a 12v soldering iron (no, don't laugh - it worked!) but when it cried enough they still replaced it even though I'd been naughty. That is good customer service and keeps a happy repeat customer.

• RMweb Gold

Hi.....

Controllers !! yeah!!!

These  have always been amongst the best , including the Pentroller................  Unfortunately most of them are long gone......

The HH is amongst them and there is no reason for you not to get one. As already mentioned it can cause hot motors and some noise because of the feedback level.

post-17779-0-80728600-1479735995_thumb.jpg

But..................  keep a lookout for one of these on ebay....they often come up for less than a tenner.   you won`t regret it.  Has early (reduced feedback) and the enertia and breaking effects are second to none.......

post-17779-0-77248500-1479736001.jpg

john

Cheers chaps.  Hmmm ... hadn't thought about whether the increase in noise level might be annoying.

Am I right though in thinking that all things being equal, apart from "constant" speed with varying load, I'll also get better slow speed control on my particular locos with feedback than without? 

• 1 month later...

I have several Bachmann locos and there is hardly any higher noticeable noicelevel when using the HH feedback controller.  And the realistic slow speed performance is great. Just as good as with any DCC loco.

This Australian gentleman once mentioned to me that he mostly uses the Gaugemaster feedback controllers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOJPgEP7fkCDgR4wYhzM1Vg

/Anders

Archived