Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

Thank you, Andy, for your support and encouragement. I feel a regular sloth in my lack of progress compared to people like yourself.

Ahh but I can only nail down some bits of Peco Track, your doing real engineering my friend, there's a BIG difference. RESPECT.

Andy

It's one thing to build a brass kit, it's another to build a layout. One of these days I might have one layout completed since my Triang layout built around 1954? In an above ground air raid shelter in our garden in Warwickshire.

My point is, each modeller has his/her strengths and all should be respected. Ok, back to th work bench!

• Like 1

2016 in review, 2017 resolutions

This time last year I penned this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1565/entry-17236-2015-in-review-plans-for-2016/

And is it interesting to see what has been achieved in 12 months. At first sight the answer might be "not much" and also the promise to focus might not have been followed as strictly as it should have been. However, some models have been completed and a whole rake of coaches that are taking shape were not even mentioned.

Legge Lane has all the track laid and the turntable is up and running. But buildings and scenery are way behind schedule as I continue to focus on kit building.

The Jinty (Dobbin) has been completed as has the 4F, the latter being a 2016 project. The Compound's tender has been waiting for over six months for the engine and will have to wait a while longer I fear.

A departure from the plan was the purchase of the 14XX kit. This should be finished and painted soon.

On the coach scene I have four coaches on wheels and rolling but three of them are waiting on the paint shop. One more kit needs to be started and one will be ordered this week, making a rake of six.

Three loco kits are waiting to be started, Patriot, Castle and second Compound. I plan to build all three with compensation on the drivers and inside moving motion on the Compound.

So there we are. Remodelling a vacation home has taken up a lot of time recently but this is now completed so 2017 should see more activity at the workbench.

Re-reading the above, I think I should build a few goods vehicles in 2017.

And finally, what started as a joke could just get some legs and run. My Gobowen Rattler (14XX and autocoach) might just run on a fictitious Welsh layout serving the village of Llareggub, the fictitious village of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood radio play. After all, autotrains do run backwards half the time!

• Like 2

The Compound progresses slowly, following instructions which appear to have got a bit out of order.  However, nothing serious and I am back on track.

I just ordered the sixth coach in the Midlander rake, a Sidelines Period III Open Third in place of a Mark I open second.  I also added the necessary back order of 4 sets of vacuum and steam pipes which are not included in the basic kits.  As always, Malcolm Binns responded in an hour but admitted he will not be at Bristol on the 22nd.  Carlisle is a long way from Bristol, as I know from experience in the 1960s!

Santa arrived today in the form of two parcels, one the Sidelines coach kit, the other a wheel set for the David Andrews Castle from Slaters.  The latter includes David's recommendation of using the slightly smaller King driving wheels*.  Both companies responded very quickly to my placing the orders.  Tomorrow I should receive a large roll of solder wire and a large bottle of Carr's Green flux from C&L Finescale.  I had run very low and this is a much needed order to maintain productivity on building the Compound.

I do think I use too much solder much of the time but generally I don't regret it as the results are more solid and any visible excess gets ground away with my Dremel, needle files and so on.

Because of the shortage of regular solder I used some Carr's solder paste for fixing the boiler bands.  The paste has flux in it but I found that some extra Carr's Green flux made the job faster and easier.  Now I have the hang of it I may be using solder paste in future though it is more expensive.

*  the reason for using the King wheels is that tolerances are very tight on the Castle and the Slaters wheels for the King, with deeper flanges, actually look and fit better.

Santa arrived today in the form of two parcels, one the Sidelines coach kit, the other a wheel set for the David Andrews Castle from Slaters.  The latter includes David's recommendation of using the slightly smaller King driving wheels*.  Both companies responded very quickly to my placing the orders.  Tomorrow I should receive a large roll of solder wire and a large bottle of Carr's Green flux from C&L Finescale.  I had run very low and this is a much needed order to maintain productivity on building the Compound.

I do think I use too much solder much of the time but generally I don't regret it as the results are more solid and any visible excess gets ground away with my Dremel, needle files and so on.

Because of the shortage of regular solder I used some Carr's solder paste for fixing the boiler bands.  The paste has flux in it but I found that some extra Carr's Green flux made the job faster and easier.  Now I have the hang of it I may be using solder paste in future though it is more expensive.

*  the reason for using the King wheels is that tolerances are very tight on the Castle and the Slaters wheels for the King, with deeper flanges, actually look and fit better.

Hi Paul,

Interestingly, I have a DA Castle to build and I, like you, purchased a set of King drivers as recommended by David A. I have been advised by fellow modellers on here that the Castle wheels will fit, albeit very tight, and of course the crank position is correct on the castle wheels (in line with the spoke as opposed to between the spokes! Also the throw is 1" different if you can see that!!)

I subsequently bought a set of Castle wheels and now have a spare set of Kings- I guess I'll just have to splash out on a JLTRT King kit now?!! 

Entirely your choice of course, and as you've already purchased, I guess you stick with it, but just my tuppence worth!

Regards, Deano.

Thanks, Deano

At the moment I will stay with the King wheels, but your information is worth knowing. I will be using hornblocks and springs and it may be that the clearances could need the smaller wheels to allow for movement during compensation. I will have to think about this and also ask around at Bristol in two weeks time.

The castle is way down my priority list but I did spend an evening over Christmas pressing all the rivets out, so it has been started!

• Like 1

Thanks, Deano

At the moment I will stay with the King wheels, but your information is worth knowing. I will be using hornblocks and springs and it may be that the clearances could need the smaller wheels to allow for movement during compensation. I will have to think about this and also ask around at Bristol in two weeks time.

The castle is way down my priority list but I did spend an evening over Christmas pressing all the rivets out, so it has been started!

Hi Paul

As mentioned, I now have the option of both!! (unless I buy a King?!)

I haven't started mine yet but I hope to soon; being out of the UK 3/5's of the time does't help!!

I was hoping to go to Bristol but I'm not sure at the moment, but I'd certainly be interested in any information you might get.

I did speak to David Andrews when I collected my Stanier kit and he stuck to his recommendation of the King drivers due to clearances, but David Smith (Isambarduk) advised otherwise. I'm in the fortunate position now to try both and am prepared to trim down the flanges in the lathe of the castle wheels if needed.

ATB

Regards, Deano.

Edit to say I will be compensating my chassis too!

Edited by Deano747

Other priorities seem to be taking over my work bench, though some progress is being made on the LMS Compound, but not enough to justify an entry just yet.

Today, though, I did find my way to the local Halfords and was able to buy a couple of cans of "mixed while you wait" spray paint for a Vauxhall Gazelle Beige, aka Cream as in Custard.  As well as some Ford Rosso Red and two cans of Halfords Etch Primer.  This should (and I mean that because colour matching is never that simple) take care of the Blood and Custard livery on the Midlander rake.

This almost completes my shopping spree prior to returning to France before the end of the month.  February should see an accelerated modelling effort.

Compound Update

I finally got back to the chassis and have completed the outside coupling rods though they will need sone running in when I get back to France.

A couple of photos:

post-20733-0-53614500-1484429309_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-76871000-1484429341_thumb.jpg

The next ten days will see me on the rosd, including Bristol OGG meeting. Then back to the workbench.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the Bristol OGG meeting and I enjoyed it after an early start and a four hour drive from Porthmadog. Some light snow flurries along the way, but traffic was light and I arrived at the meet in good time for the start. I had a list of purchases and that list was filled very quickly. A 20 ton BR brake van from Jim McGeown (Connoisseur), two MT motor gearboxes from MSC for the Patriot and Castle kits by David Andrews, sundry wheels and hornblocks from Slaters, useful bits from Eileens Emporium a carrying case for the Midlander rake from Parkwood Arts, a five plank BR(M) wagon from Dapol and so on. But as always, it is the people you meet that make it all worthwhile.

Lee Marsh hopes to have the Rebuilt Royal Scots under way by the end of this year with a prototype model made. The deadline for me is the centenary of the Great War Armistice in late 2018 and I hope it will be possible to display 46132 to my family in memory of my father's involvement in NE France in 1917 as an officer in the Kings Liverpool Regiment.

I met Porthmadog neighbour Warren Shephard at his stand and talked about rolled boilers, etc. He has a rule of thumb for rolling boilers. Find a suitable former that is 2/3rds the diameter of the boiler being rolled and work from the centre to the ends, not the other way round. His boilers brass is thin enough not to be annealed. The boiler strappings should be offset at the bottom of the boiler to add strength to the soldered join. His smokeboxes need to be riveted before rolling. This gives me some confidence about tackling his Manor kit, of which I saw a completed model with excellent detail.

Laurie Griffin gave me valuable confidence in tackling his inside motion for my second Compound kit. The inside crank should be bonded to a Slaters axle using a particular Loctite composition (601 or 603) after degreasing. Leave it for 24 hours then use a small hacksaw to cut the axle.j

The Welsh Railways Research Circle have promised to help in determining the autocoach diagrams used on the Gobowen Rattler. Incidentally, am I the only person to remember that that was the Oswestry Gobowen autotrain's nickname? Apparently there is a large collection of photos from Oswestry Works that has never been incorporated into a book. They did have a water damaged copy of Steam in Mid Wales by Michael Hale which at £5 was a steal. Excellent photographs from all over Mid Wales.

I had a long chat with volunteers manning the Ffestiniog Railway stand. As a part time Porthmadog resident I have decided to buy membership.

The Gloucester OG Society wooed me with their promise of test tracks though I think both Leamington and Coventry societies would be more convenient when I am in North Gloucestershire.

Unfortunately my left knee gave way at about 2 pm from all that standing and I decided to leave early. I had hoped to visit the demonstrators' booths but they were all occupied.

While at the show I got an email from Chris at Severn Mill with confirmation that my brass etch plates are being made for the 14XX, Castle and Patriot. Together with the motors this now means the Castle and Patriot kits are complete.

All I need is the time to do some serious modelling.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 6

Today was the Bristol OGG meeting and I enjoyed it after an early start and a four hour drive from Porthmadog.  Some light snow flurries along the way, but traffic was light and I arrived at the meet in good time for the start.  I had a list of purchases and that list was filled very quickly.  A 20 ton BR brake van from Jim McGeown (Connoisseur), two MT motor gearboxes from MSC for the Patriot and Castle kits by David Andrews, sundry wheels and hornblocks from Slaters, useful bits from Eileens Emporium a carrying case for the Midlander rake from Parkwood Arts, a five plank BR(M) wagon from Dapol and so on.  But as always, it is the people you meet that make it all worthwhile.

Lee Marsh hopes to have the Rebuilt Royal Scots under way by the end of this year with a prototype model made.  The deadline for me is the centenary of the Great War Armistice in late 2018 and I hope it will be possible to display 46132 to my family in memory of my father's involvement in NE France in 1917 as an officer in the Kings Liverpool Regiment.

I met Porthmadog neighbour Warren Shephard at his stand and talked about rolled boilers, etc.  He has a rule of thumb for rolling boilers.  Find a suitable former that is 2/3rds the diameter of the boiler being rolled and work from the centre to the ends, not the other way round.  His boilers brass is thin enough not to be annealed.  The boiler strappings should be offset at the bottom of the boiler to add strength to the soldered join.  His smokeboxes need to be riveted before rolling.  This gives me some confidence about tackling his Manor kit, of which I saw a completed model with excellent detail.

Laurie Griffin gave me valuable confidence in tackling his inside motion for my second Compound kit.  The inside crank should be bonded to a Slaters axle using a particular Loctite composition (603) after degreasing.  Leave it for 24 hours then use a small hacksaw to cut the axle.

The Welsh Railways Research Circle have promised to help in determining the autocoach diagrams used on the Gobowen Rattler.  Incidentally, am I the only person to remember that that was the Oswestry Gobowen autotrain's nickname?  Apparently there is a large collection of photos from Oswestry Works that has never been incorporated into a book.  They did have a water damaged copy of Steam in Mid Wales by Michael Hale which at £5 was a steal.  Excellent photographs from all over Mid Wales.

I had a long chat with volunteers manning the Ffestiniog Railway stand.  As a part time Porthmadog resident I have decided to buy membership.

The Gloucester OG Society wooed me with their promise of test tracks though I think both Leamington and Coventry societies would be more convenient when I am in North Gloucestershire.

Unfortunately my left knee gave way at about 2 pm from all that standing and I decided to leave early.  I had hoped to visit the demonstrators' booths but they were all occupied.

While at the show I got an email from Chris at Severn Mill with confirmation that my brass etch plates are being made for the 14XX, Castle and Patriot.  Together with the motors this now means the Castle and Patriot kits are complete.

All I need is the time to do some serious modelling.

Hi Paul,

Glad you had a safe and productive visit.

Ironically, this was to have been my first visit to an 'OGG' show (I even bought an advance ticket -  serves me right), but unfortunately I picked up a 'stinker' of a cold earlier in the week and was in no shape to attempt the trip up on Sunday.  Shame really, as I had spent quite a lot of time planning the visit and drawing up 'lists' of traders, things to look at, etc.

Anyway, 'peak-snot' has now passed, so I was well enough to be able to struggle through the fog to work in Winchester today.  Will have to look at attending something 'OGG' related later in the year perhaps.

Steve

Hi Paul,

Glad you had a safe and productive visit.

Ironically, this was to have been my first visit to an 'OGG' show (I even bought an advance ticket -  serves me right), but unfortunately I picked up a 'stinker' of a cold earlier in the week and was in no shape to attempt the trip up on Sunday.  Shame really, as I had spent quite a lot of time planning the visit and drawing up 'lists' of traders, things to look at, etc.

Anyway, 'peak-snot' has now passed, so I was well enough to be able to struggle through the fog to work in Winchester today.  Will have to look at attending something 'OGG' related later in the year perhaps.

Steve

Hi Steve

Too bad about the "stinker" of a cold.  For GOG meets the only other one close to you would be Reading in December.  The "big'un" is Telford in September but there is also Kettering which will be the next one in ?March.  Bristol was well attended by both suppliers and buyers but both Kettering and Telford are just as good.

Get well soon!  Paul

Some extra thoughts while driving back to North Wales. Although Legge Lane is basically planned to be a BR(M) shed, I am getting more interested in the Oswestry scene I remember well from the late 1950s (thanks, Larry, for the stimulus). I will never build an Oswestry, or even a Gobowen, but there is another option, a simple diorama of Park Hall Halt, located midway between the two stations. This very simple Halt would serve as a scenic backdrop to run all sorts of realistic trains and even light engines down the old GW branch line, including Chester-Aberystwyth passenger, weekend excursions, the local autotrain, stone mineral trains from the then active quarries, etc., etc. But visiting locos to Oswestry Works would provide a wonderful excuse to include a variety that wouldn't have been seen at most stations.

No turnouts on the scenic portion but two sector plate fiddle yards might be the answer. They needn't be too long, say loco plus four coaches.

The scenic portion might be short enough to fit in the back of my car, which I need to measure.

But this is all very hypothetical. Thinking of brass kit locos that would have been seen regulatly, the following would be appropriate.

Ex-GWR: Manor, 63XX, 2251, 14XX, 64XX,

Ex-LMS: Ivatt 2MT tender and tanks, 8F (for mineral traffic)

BR Standard: 78XXX, 76XXX, 80XXX, 84XXX

Then for the Works, all sorts of locos but mainly ex-GWR and Standard classes.

Dreaming again!

• Like 1

Sounds fine. The GWR Gobowen-Oswestry line was route restriction red, unlike the lightly laid Cambrian lines. As you say, lots of scope for large and small engines. But not much scope for 'knocking wagons about' and I wonder if it will be enough long-term.

Well, I was in dream mode even if I was on the M5, M6, M54 at the tine!

Moe time to think about priorities while driving across France yesterday.  But no real conclusion reached.  I think the Compound should be top of the list as it needs to be finished, then the Midlander Coach rake.  Now I have some Slaters hornblocks I might think about building the Patriot and Castle chassis' as a small batch job on the side.  Too often I seem to forget important lessons learned between one kit and the next.

And then I noticed the 14XX, all but forgotten here in my workshop.  Better not open any new boxes just yet!

While away from modelling I noticed that I had put Stanier's non-fluted coupling rods on the Compound.  The reason I did so is not something I remember but staring me in the face every day as my computer's desktop photo is a photo of 41168 at Derby with fluted rods!  The photo was taken probably at the time of withdrawl as the loco doesn't look serviceable.

Hi Paul

Most interesting thread. Your modelling is of a very high standard well done you. It is interesting to see that you along with most of us, get distracted by different dreqamsd and schemes along the way. I consider that this is part of the very active imagination that we modellers appear to have as a standard issue at birth! Your endorsement of the various 0 scale shows is most welcome to one who is involved in getting these on the road. If folk like you come and enjoy the experience that is reward enough.

I do not know much about the Cambrian system save looking at it when holidaying in Wales. It is very attractive and has some marvellous scenery. When I saw it steam was on the way out and represented by rather washed out BR standards but golly they worked hard.

Best wishes for your project.

Martin Long

Back in the saddle in France.  All the stuff arrived intact, even me after driving all day.  Yesterday I unpacked and then started to dissemble the Compound's chassis ready for painting.  The fluted coupling rods are now ready to fit.  If the humidity drops I will do some spraying tomorrow (it was 16ºC this afternoon but cloudy).  I did paint the Slaters wheels.

Today I started to install the overhead wire lighting above Legge Lane.  The kit, by a German company, Paulmann, looks great but I seriously wonder if the wall fixings are going to be strong enough.  I may have to substitute wall plugs with Molly bolts, except the "squeezing" Molly tool is in Wales!  I seem to remember there was a neat solution for fixing items to sheetrock (gypsum board) in the States which consisted of a T on a pivot.  Perfect for anything like wires under tension.  The local bricolage hadn't heard of them, though that maybe due to my Franglais description.

One of the fixing holes is currently drying from being plugged with filler, so the job will have to wait until tomorrow to be completed.  Even then there is no guarantee the wires won't implode the apartment!

Edited to add:

Overnight the filler plug dried but on tightening the wire the turnbuckle popped out of the wall plug.  Also, the vertical stays have come loose due to be fixed in sheetrock/gypsum board in the ceiling (they are necessary to allow for a dog leg at one end of the system).  It is clear that Molly bolts are needed so another visit to the bricolage is required.  So this job is on hold, though I really want to get it finished and then clean up.

It is becoming clear to me that there is more than one German company that supplies poor wall fixings with its products - is this a pattern that others have experienced.  Perhaps Germans don't build room partitions with gypsum board?

The good news is it is 12ºC at nine o'clock and also sunny, so perhaps the outdoor spray booth can be set up later.

Edited by Focalplane

Well, the lighting system is finally up but I think, as the photo will show, that a second set of ceiling supports will be necessary to prevent an obvious sag that doesn't show up on the manufacturer's videos!  The lighting effect is good and I can now see my way to populating Legge Lane with scenery, that is, when some locomotive kits are well under way and I need a break.

Pictures, by the way, are prints of paintings by Philip Hawkins, on the left Tamworth Memories (with 46132) and on the right Summer Saturday at Snow Hill (with 5070).  Both locomotives are on my list.  They were framed by a real expert in framing, Jack of the Frame Shop in Wellington, Somerset.

post-20733-0-91077000-1486052144_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Last night was interesting - Languedoc is noted for its local winds, the Mistral being the famous one, but in Department de l'Aude it is La Tramontane. And she was blowing a gale last night.  The local media reported 140 kph gusts which is 90 mph and my apartment is "en face" the prevailing NW direction.

While the roof didn't blow away, it certainly sounded like it could have at any time.  Sleep was therefore unlikely and after a while I gave up and started fettling brass and trimming parts for the detailing on the Compound.  One of the extras I decided to buy for this kit was the pair of Silverton lubricators sold by Laurie Griffin.  An earlier post here details the 4+4 style used on the LMS 4F.  The Compounds had two 6+6 units, one mounted each side of the footplate.  I have yet to drill out the holes in the lubricator housing, Nature was already making enough noise!

The Compound's body is coming together slowly and I am sure it will be suitable for a photograph soon (all but the cab detail which be the last thing to do).  The chassis is now painted and has to be put back together.  More detailed fiddling will be required there, particularly the plunger pick ups.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 2

Eileens Emporium just got an order for more HSS drill bits!  The Silvertown lubricators eat up drill bits no matter how hard I try to control the Dremel.  But one side is done, the other awaits tomorrow.  I also fitted the cylinder cocks to the chassis today though I am not all that happy with one side.  The Compound's design was really quite weird, though by the 1950s the long protruding pipes had been shortened to a more manageable fit.

I have a Bachmann/NRM OO gauge Midland Railway 1000 and its cylinder cock assemblage is, by default, way over scale.  At least in 7mm scale the parts are the right size though ever so difficult to manhandle.

I really must get on with the chassis construction and testing, but fitting those plunger pickups is putting me off.  Discipline is what I need, as the bishop said to the actress.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Deano

Sorry, late for the party.

Do stick with the correct wheels for this kit and not the King.  you will have less fettling to do at the piston end as the correct wheels have the correct `throw`

Things are close just like the prototype but the kit can take it..........

post-17779-0-75868400-1486555172_thumb.jpg

You will need to make sure the `ride height` of your sprung bearings match the kit`s tolerances to avoid problems with the motion slide bars.

post-17779-0-00676000-1486555163_thumb.jpg

but the right wheels fit ok!!

post-17779-0-90938900-1486555182_thumb.jpg

Regards

John

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 1

Sorry, late for the party.

Do stick with the correct wheels for this kit and not the King.  you will have less fettling to do at the piston end as the correct wheels have the correct `throw`

Things are close just like the prototype but the kit can take it..........

attachicon.gifDSC01931.JPG

You will need to make sure the `ride height` of your sprung bearings match the kit`s tolerances to avoid problems with the motion slide bars.

attachicon.gifDSC01914.JPG

but the right wheels fit ok!!

attachicon.gifDSC01933.JPG

Regards

John

Hi John

You are not too late!  Still only the riveting done as I am focusing on the Compound and 14XX and then the Midlander coaches.  But your advice is most useful and seeing is believing.  I had not thought about the throw issue.

I do wonder why David Andrews advised me to use the King drivers - one of these days I will ask him for more details on his recommendation.

There now remains the decision to buy the King kit as well and then have both wheel sets.  That would be a good long term plan, in fact the two could be built side by side.  In which case I would insert the Patriot kit in ahead of them.

Also, I would probably go for 5070's stable mate 6008 and have one with the Cornishman, the other with the Inter City headboards.  6008 was based at Stafford Road in 1957, which is within my era.

Many thanks for showing the photos, they tell the story well.

Paul

Edit to correct typo and Patriot reference.

Edited by Focalplane