P4 Dean Goods

It’s always nice when a customer tells us they’re pleased with what they’ve able to achieve using one of our kits, and some even send a photo. Here’s couple of Gerry Beale’s GWR Dean Goods using the High Level chassis kits for both the loco and the tender, carrying modified Mainline/Hornby bodies.

Modifications were quite extensive, using replacement cast fittings from the Martin Finney Dean Goods kit that are now available from Brassmasters. The locomotive chassis was skilfully built by Karl Crowther and uses Ultrascale wheels whilst Gerry did the tender chassis and all the bodyworks and, of course, subtly weathered it all!

In the ‘Dean Goods Stakes’ we like to think this Hornby/High Level combo fairs pretty well, being well proportioned and capturing the look and feel of the prototype!...

post-16143-0-54565600-1480066300_thumb.jpg

post-16143-0-60852900-1480066308_thumb.jpg

It’s always nice when a customer tells us they’re pleased with what they’ve able to achieve using one of our kits, and some even send a photo. Here’s couple of Gerry Beale’s GWR Dean Goods using the High Level chassis kits for both the loco and the tender, carrying modified Mainline/Hornby bodies.

Modifications were quite extensive, using replacement cast fittings from the Martin Finney Dean Goods kit that are now available from Brassmasters. The locomotive chassis was skilfully built by Karl Crowther and uses Ultrascale wheels whilst Gerry did the tender chassis and all the bodyworks and, of course, subtly weathered it all!

In the ‘Dean Goods Stakes’ we like to think this Hornby/High Level combo fairs pretty well, being well proportioned and capturing the look and feel of the prototype!...

A superb job, and a testament to the old Mainline tooling as the basis for a detailed model.  I suspect you are entirely right that this is the way forward for capturing the look of a B4 Dean Goods. 

Thanks for posting.

Has Gerry gone P4 as I thought he was EM!

very nice.

It is EM David - what may have confused Chris is that I used EMF standard wheels from Ultrascale on both engine and tender.  EMF wheels are used at Pendon and are availiable by special order from David Rogers at Ultrascale.

The locomotive runs beautifully but as yet I have not been able to test the haulage power.  So long as she can manage around twenty wagons I shall be happy and she should cope with that OK.

Archived