Fuel Tanker Trailer Question

Horsetan

Whilst reading about the modified ex-DR "Reko" 2-10-0 52.8055, I noted that its tender - originally a tub-shaped "Wannentender" - had a fuel tank taken straight from a road fuel tanker trailer and installed on top, replacing the old coal bunker.

Another close-up here

Question: does anyone know what design / type of fuel tanker this was? I've been looking at 1/87 models, and can't yet see anything that comes close in shape.

All answers gratefully received.  :read:

Thanks, Tony. At first glance, it looks close, but its shape is a regular oval / ellipse.

By contrast, the tank carried on 52.8055's tender has squarer vertical sides, and the ends appear to be bowed as well. It seems to be one of the modern designs that I vaguely remember seeing from the 1990s onwards. This one seems very close to the shape, but I don't know the designation of it, or whether there's ever been a 1:87 model of it on the market.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about steam or German locos, let alone both together, so excuse my impertinence in asking if it is definitely from a road tanker trailer, it looks too small to me, too long and thin to have been a road trailer.  I know the loco is big and probably makes the tank seem a bit smaller, but it just seems too narrow and long - maybe German tanker trailers were different though.  When was it converted, is it a recent thing or a mod from its service life?

Interesting, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about steam or German locos, let alone both together, so excuse my impertinence in asking if it is definitely from a road tanker trailer, it looks too small to me, too long and thin to have been a road trailer.  I know the loco is big and probably makes the tank seem a bit smaller, but it just seems too narrow and long - maybe German tanker trailers were different though.  When was it converted, is it a recent thing or a mod from its service life?

The report I read, which is a full chapter in the Eisenbahn Kurier book "Baureihe 52.80", says it was taken straight from a road fuel tanker.

52.8055 was originally a DR "Rekolok", but was extensively modified in 1998/9 by SLM in Winterthur to produce almost double the output of the original.

IF you put in RAF Aircraft refuellers into google these images come out ;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raf+aircraft+refuellers&biw=874&bih=417&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiakd2ji93QAhUsCMAKHdjUC84QsAQIGQ

Not the same (obviously) but I would GUESS that the tank came from a German/NATO aircraft refuelling lorry.

(The "flat"/flattened sides are structurally inefficient, but presumably are there to maximise capacity whilst minimising height.)

It could have been from a rigid tanker, in which case the body would be appreciably shorter than an artic. Looking at semi-trailer tanks of similar design, the bottom of the body slopes from both ends towards the middle, where the discharge valves are situated; they seem to have been used mainly for heavy fuel oils.

Here's a view of an articulated one, showing what I mean:- http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p198871106/h28ed1aca#h28ed1aca

Herpa seem to do a rigid tank and trailer of similar profile:- http://www.herpa.de/collect/(S(vribztlvbv0l34wmbt3b2ufb))/detail.aspx?ProductID=921688&lang=en-GB&express=1&thumb=1

but it's a bit pricey.

As an aside, I doubt that it was a road FUEL tanker as such as most of those are compartmentalised for multiple deliveries of different grades of fuel. It seems your pic shows a single filler and a large one at that. This implies a single outlet that probably has a sump that we can't see underneath with a single pipe connection and probably tender mounted valve(s).

I think that most fuel tankers are equipped for gravity discharge only but as can be seen, aircraft refuelling needs pumps as the tank itself is below the aircraft fuel storage tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much doubt that this tank came from a road vehicle. I would say that it was specially made for this application. Road tanks are usually multi- compartmental, as has already been mentioned. Tank trailers normally have a stepped section at the front to clear the turntable or fifth wheel coupling. However, a model road tanker could be used, although I would suggest measuring TT or even N gauge items as I think HO or OO would be too large in width and height. It would probably be easier to scratchbuild one.

Archived