Class 37 lights not working for one direction?

Bachmann 32-379 Class 37 (weathered): in both directions the forward lights work as expected, however, again in both directions the rear lights don't work at all and instead the forward lights flicker. 

Interestingly the forward lights only flicker when ran at medium speed. When ran at the highest speed the forward lights at the rear don't flicker at all. Regardless of the speed or direction, no rear lights are visible.

I am of the understanding that "running in" will not solve this problem? What is required?

Edited by faa77

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a similar issue to the one described above on one of my class 37's fitted with a Loksound V4 decoder. With the lights turned on the headcode illuminates at one end only whereas the rear lights work at both end. I have cleaned the contacts and checked as best I can that they are making contact with the tabs in the nose end. I have also checked that there are no glaringly obvious wires loose. 

It appears that I have a problem with one of the decoder, the wiring to the contacts or the headcode light. I have an indentical version of the same loco (it has been renumbered) and will try a swop of bodyshells  to see if anything different happens. Does anyone have any other ideas?

18 hours ago, young37215 said:

With the lights turned on the headcode illuminates at one end only whereas the rear lights work at both end. I have cleaned the contacts and checked as best I can that they are making contact with the tabs in the nose end. I have also checked that there are no glaringly obvious wires loose.

Rob,

Does the LED exhibit the 'black dot of death'? A failed LED will, generally, have a black dot on the face of the LED. 

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately no black dots found as yet and I am pleased to report that swapping the bodyshells has resulted in me having two locos with fully functioning lights once again.  I have no idea why this is the case but if it gives me what I seek then who am I to complain. 

Of course nothing is ever straightforward, I have a similar issue with 37108 although in this case all light fail to illuminate at the number 2 end. I have removed the bodyshell and cleaned the tabs and contacts using contact cleaner but to no avail. I have another version of the same loco and will try the same bodyshell swap again in the hope that this provides the same outcome as before. 

There must be a more scientifc approach to solving this sort of problem than swapping bodyshells around, a question of ruling things out. Logically I should check that the lights are enabled at both ends on the decoder as a first step although I am sure that they worked previously. Presumably I should be able to check that there is a positive supply on the contacts?  

• RMweb Gold

37108 bodyshell swapped onto 37049 chassis and lights all work as they should. Problem is not 37108 lights.  37049 bodyshell placed onto 37108 chassis and 37049 lights only work one end as with 37108. Problem narrowed down to somewhere on the chassis of 37108 or the chip. Not a solution but I have ruled out several possibile causes. Next step is to interrogate the chip with a Lokprogrammer to se if this reveals anything.

Final loco with lights out at one end is 37175. This is now onto the workbench and about to get stripped down in an effort to find and sort the problem.