LMS Pacific tenders

pH

The recent discussions on here about LMS 'Princess Coronation' pacifics reminded me of something that I've wondered about for many years. It's a picture of Banbury shed yard taken in May 1966, nearly two years after the last LMS pacific was withdrawn, clearly showing a loaded tender of LMS design, painted maroon. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the engine it's attached to. The tender is pretty dirty, so doesn't look like it belongs to a preserved engine and, anyway, was any LMS pacific running on BR in 1966?

Does anyone know if a tender off an LMS pacific was attached to another engine after the pacific was withdrawn? If so, which engine did it come from, and which engine got it?

The last Stanier Pacific was 6256, withdrawn in 3rd October 1964 (that would be a 'Week or Period Ending). The pacific tenders were a lot higher than other Stanier tenders to take the coal capacity up to ten tons, and the front bulkhead would have been noticeably higher than the cab roof of any other class. To the best of my knowledge, the tenders were still attached to all the Pacifics when they went for scrap. (6206's tender 9359 was fitted with a coal pusher and was swapped to 6221 as it was in better condition, 6206 then taking 6221's tender to the scrap yard.)

Archived