Early LMS Enamel Shed Plates

LMS2968

Do you mean the enamel shed plates from the Midland or the LNWR ones? The LNWR ones were usually located at the back of the cab roof and continued to be used in LMS days. From memory the LNWR ones were blue enamel with white lettering. The Bahamas Locomotive Society may be able to help as the preserved Coal Tank has an ex LNWR type shed plate on the back of the cab roof ( it drops into a bracket). Sorry don't know anything about the ex Midland ones.

David

Thanks for the reply, but they're not the ones. The LMS also used them on newly built locos up to the big reorganisation of 1934 when the shed codes went to the familiar format of a main (A) shed with a preceding number (Crewe North = 5A) with a number of 'garage' sheds of the same number but higher lettering (Crewe South = 5B). Earlier, on the Western Division, the plate was white with just a black digit (1 = Camden). I'm struggling to get decent photos of these and I'm not sure that they were the same as the previous LNWR (and L&YR) plates. Crewe seemed very reluctant to relocate the plates from the rear of the cab roof to the smokebox door, possibly because that's where the Midland put theirs!

This might show what I mean, and provide a clue!

untitl11.jpg

According to Talbot's LNWR Engines "Under the LMS up to 1935, LNWR-style shed plates were fitted to the smokebox doors in Midland style" He describes the plates thus: "an oval plate of white enamel with black numerals and border. The plate was 5in. long by 31/2in. high, with numerals 2in. high." Four examples are illustrated with photographs in the book.

Archived