Renumbering Blood And Custard Stock

gwrrob

John - the note in my previous post about the size of numbering on the Autocoaches is suspect or incomplete. Compare two crimson and cream autocoaches here and here. The numbers are clearly different sizes. W 231 is 7", whereas W 220 W is smaller (possibly standard 4"?).

Perhaps Pete Speller (K14 here) might be able to shed some light on this.

(There is a long RMweb thread on the Bachmann autocoach, which I have only just discovered.)

Apologies for late reply - I've been approx 60 miles away from my library for the last week.

Here's what I've gleaned from Russell & Lewis:—

W220

A.38 - Built 8/1951. 7" number at LH end only

A.39 - 2/1952. 4" W220W at RH end only (Russell Appendix Vol 2 Fig 487)

Named 'Thrush' 5/1952. Retained 4" number at RH end only (RA2 Figs 489, 490).

W221

A.38 - Built 8/1951. Works photo RA2 Fig 485 - 7" W221 at LH end only. Van end view showing steps & lower handrails to be body colour (upper handrails picked out in black on the grab portion only).

A.40 - 2/1952. 4" W221W at RH end only (RA2 Fig 488)

Named 'Wren' 5/1952. Retained 4" number at RH end only (RA2 Fig 492).

W231 - Photo at Gobowen c.1951 R.C. Riley. 7" number at LH end. (Lewis Trailers Vol 2, P. 287.)

So it looks like the Swindon practice of trailers (and railcars) having larger numbers was applied to the A.38s when built in the summer of 1951, but the practice had been quashed from on high by the spring of 1952.

As to the interference of the handrail on the C.54...

The official BR position was 6" below the lining - which fouls the handrail.

The GWR position was to assume that the coach was still panelled & position the number centrally therein - the handrail would sit where the moulding would have been & not been in the way.

So it **could** be that both positions are correct, but the GW version was very short-lived. In the absence of any photos confirming this, I'd stick with the BR positioning.

Pete S.

So it looks like the Swindon practice of trailers (and railcars) having larger numbers was applied to the A.38s when built in the summer of 1951, but the practice had been quashed from on high by the spring of 1952.

Pete, you know a lot more about this than I ever will but was it not the practice of painting trainers in main line livery, ie blood and custard, that was quashed from on high?

Chris

Pete, you know a lot more about this than I ever will but was it not the practice of painting trainers in main line livery, ie blood and custard, that was quashed from on high?

Chris

That too Chris, but the ban on B&C trailers can be pinpointed by the letter from 222 Marylebone Road dated 7th July 1952 & a follow-up from Paddington dated 22nd July (both of which are reproduced in John Lewis' GW Trailers Vol 2, P.362).

The variation in numbering between 'Thrush' as an A.38 (July/August 1951) and its conversion to A.40 a mere six months later whilst still retaining B&C suggests that some form of interim directive occurred.

The official shot of W221 has a Shopping Proposed date of 1/54 painted on the end (S.P. 1-54), so the original batch would have carried B&C up to that date unless they had cause to visit the works (& maybe longer - it's only a proposed date, not written in stone). They could well have retained the large numbers at the LH end too, although changing them to 4" would only require a set of transfers & a tin of red to paint over the 'old' numbering; a job that could be carried done at outstations.

P.

Archived