Faulty pickups.Fixed

CSX2004

• RMweb Premium

So the conclusion must be that there is something wrong with the pickups or the suspension system.

Either fix that if you can or alternatively do the simple job of fitting a stay alive.

I suppose that depends on whether he has room to fit one.  The Power Pack is 22 x 10 x 8mm and I don't think that the the OP has ever said what type or make of loco it is, other than it is an 0-6-0.  It also depends on whether the OP is prepared to splash out the £35 or so it takes to get one.

DT

I suppose that depends on whether he has room to fit one.  The Power Pack is 22 x 10 x 8mm and I don't think that the the OP has ever said what type or make of loco it is, other than it is an 0-6-0.  It also depends on whether the OP is prepared to splash out the £35 or so it takes to get one.

DT

It´s a Tillig model.

https://www.tillig.com/Produkte/produktinfo-02920.html

Its probably simpler to fit some extra skid pickups than install a commercial stay-alive module.    A DIY stay alive can be considerably smaller (down to as little as 8x8x3 mm), but probably not the way to go. 

From the sound of things, the loco is loosing pickup from at least some wheels when negotiating the turnout.   That suggests a small tweak is needed in the pickups to ensure they make contact at all times, and the wheels need inspecting to see if there is any plastic "flash" which might be lifting the pickup from the wheel (I've met this on German brands before).  With most locos (I'm not familiar with this particular one), tweaking the pickups is best done by dismantling, wheels out, and thinking carefully how to gently bend the pickups to ensure pressure at all times.   Only once that's been done should stay-alive devices (commercial or DIY) be considered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well have found the fault.Tried measuring with a multimeter from one side´s wheel to wheel on the other side and it got me an open reading,''1''.Something is wrong with those pickups.

Maybe there´s a loose or unsoldered wire on those pickups.My problem is that don´t know how to remove the body shell to see what is wrong with the pickups. It's so frustrating :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived