Faulty pickups.Fixed

CSX2004

Hello.

Have just installed a new Peco electrofrog H0m points.it´s wired for DCC and the frog is powered with a frog juicer. My problem is that when I run my 0-6-0 steam locomotive it hesitates on the points.Have cleaned rails and wheels with no result.

Use a piece of glass or other truly flat object to detect any distortion in the point. From a rigid 0-6-0 chassis you only ever get three points of contact at any one time, even on electrofrog, there will be moments when one of those is on insulating material.

Hello.

Have just installed a new Peco electrofrog H0m points.it´s wired for DCC and the frog is powered with a frog juicer. My problem is that when I run my 0-6-0 steam locomotive it hesitates on the points.Have cleaned rails and wheels with no result.

Hi

I'm sure that can be very annoying but fitting a stay alive capacitor should cure this problem.

Norman

Use a piece of glass or other truly flat object to detect any distortion in the point. From a rigid 0-6-0 chassis you only ever get three points of contact at any one time, even on electrofrog, there will be moments when one of those is on insulating material.

Can´t do that because it´s installed on the layout.

Also check that all the wheels of the loco are touching the track at the same time.

You can do this by putting the loco on a flat surface like a sheet of glass.

Do you have another loco you can try on that particular point ?

Also make sure that the juicer is actually working to power the frog.

Could the flangeways be causing tight spots for the loco wheels.  I used to run small (~1mm wide) file through them to ensure that the clearance is good.

Perhaps consult the specs tables for the wheels and track and see if your loco and the track meet the requirements.

John

Also check that all the wheels of the loco are touching the track at the same time.

You can do this by putting the loco on a flat surface like a sheet of glass.

Do you have another loco you can try on that particular point ?

Also make sure that the juicer is actually working to power the frog.

Yes,have tried another loco and it runs well.The juicer works ok,the frog have power.

On one of my layouts a loco ( Hornby Class 25 ) juddered and stalled on one set of points, I noticed the back of one set of wheels were touching the switch open rail, I tweaked the rail and it cured the problem, mind you it was DC so I am not sure if DCC can have the same effect.

Cheers, Pete.  

Esu LokPilot micro V4.0 Next18.

Here you go - simple solution.

All LokSound and LokPilot decoders of the 4th generation series can be connected to the PowerPack, such as LokPilot, LokPilot micro, LokSound, LokSound micro or LokSound Select , LokSound Select Micro and LokSound Select Direct. All decoders have soldering pads on which the PowerPack´s wires need to be soldered. The respective manuals of the ESU decoders described show the typical soldering locations. Refer to Figure 1 for the most common wiring diagram. In order to be able to reach the soldering surfaces, it is permissible to remove the heat shrink sleeve here. Best this happens through cuts opening the corner of the concerned decoder’s heat shrink. Leave the remaining heat shrink sleeve on the decoder.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Fitting a stay-alive is not really the ultimate cure as it masks the real issue.

It looks like there is a problem in the wheel-rail-pickup region.

I've had locos that seem to work on all wheels on the rolling road, but as soon as a curve is introduced, the axles move sideways and the pickups no longer pick up.

I've also had locos that work on curves, but struggle on straight track for similar reasons.

Often this is emphasised in the relatively slack standards for the likes of 00 and other RTR gauges. Just see how much you can move stock sideways before the flanges limit the lateral movement. (This "slop" also causes issues with buffer locking and couplers such as Kadees being misaligned)

And yes - I'm a 00 modeller.

Cheers,

Mick

Fitting a stay-alive is not really the ultimate cure as it masks the real issue.

I've had locos that seem to work on all wheels on the rolling road, but as soon as a curve is introduced, the axles move sideways and the pickups no longer pick up.

I've also had locos that work on curves, but struggle on straight track for similar reasons.

Often this is emphasised in the relatively slack standards for the likes of 00 and other RTR gauges. Just see how much you can move stock sideways before the flanges limit the lateral movement. (This "slop" also causes issues with buffer locking and couplers such as Kadees being misaligned)

Cheers,

Mick

Sorry Mick

I have heard this said before about stay alive not being a cure but it does work and does solve the problem of poor pick-up so why not use it.

What are the alternatives being suggested? More pickups better suspension systems the choice is yours.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Mick

I have heard this said before about stay alive not being a cure but it does work and does solve the problem of poor pick-up so why not use it.

What are the alternatives being suggested? More pickups better suspension systems the choice is yours.

Norman

I said that stay alive is not the ultimate cure.

Maybe my phrasing was wrong.

How about -

Prevention is better than cure?

Stay alives may well be a solution (cure) to the problem, but the prevention is better pickups and suspension/track/etc to improve the wheel/rail/pickup interface.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Mick

Norman

If it is juddering due a momentary short caused by out of tolerance wheelsets, or a track issue, then a stay alive probably won't work. Much better to fix the problem rather than try to mask it.

Cheers,

Mick

I think this is the problem,there´s too much sideways play in the axles.

No,only with that loco.

So the conclusion must be that there is something wrong with the pickups or the suspension system.

Either fix that if you can or alternatively do the simple job of fitting a stay alive.  The chip is designed to accept one.  and you can get on with running trains happily.

Norman

Archived