RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Oooo, that Class 40 has got me drooling into my Tea !

Uh-oh, what is that strange distant sound ?  What does the Dark Side sound like ??!!

You know you want to ;) oh and you won't regret it!!

Welcome Andi......

• RMweb Gold

Surprised nobody has commented how it's typical Liverpool some git has nicked the bloody rails! Can't wait to see how Paul's going to move that 40 in time for tomorrow's 06.55 to Newcastle!

Nice modelling mate! They look good, too clean, but good! Do I take it you've sold the ELJ baseboards then? The dark side really is a big pull! He says looking at his bank balance :( lol!

Rich

Stealing wheels is a myth, we rob the whole car!! ;)

As for ELJ I've still got it but I need to pack it up asap as it's got s new home in Spain :)

Cheers

• Like 1

You know you want to ;) oh and you won't regret it!!

Welcome Andi......

Thanks Paul, looking forward to progress ! 

As for the Dark Side - Been there, Done that both in finescale and vintage/modern retro tinplate (Corgi/Basset Lowke, ACE, Hornby, etc) and I have to say, I prefered the tinplate to the finescale. Not much scenery gets done with the tinplate, but, there is so much more user interaction, especially with clockwork locos ! 

I sold it all a few years ago when we moved out of the big house - no room for it where we are now unfortunately  :umbrage:  :umbrage:  :umbrage:

post-30166-0-32794600-1486303757_thumb.jpg

post-30166-0-37708100-1486303765_thumb.jpg

post-30166-0-88088000-1486303774_thumb.jpg

I have to say, I miss it hugely - it is much more about 'playing trains' than modelling, though, some of those new r-t-r models from Dapol and the likes do make 7mm look more appealing again, and affordable ! 

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, looking forward to progress ! 

As for the Dark Side - Been there, Done that both in finescale and vintage/modern retro tinplate (Corgi/Basset Lowke, ACE, Hornby, etc) and I have to say, I prefered the tinplate to the finescale. Not much scenery gets done with the tinplate, but, there is so much more user interaction, especially with clockwork locos ! 

I sold it all a few years ago when we moved out of the big house - no room for it where we are now unfortunately  :umbrage:  :umbrage:  :umbrage:

attachicon.gif004-7612_CR2_embedded.jpg

attachicon.gif004-7616_CR2_embedded.jpg

attachicon.gif004-7622_CR2_embedded.jpg

I have to say, I miss it hugely - it is much more about 'playing trains' than modelling, though, some of those new r-t-r models from Dapol and the likes do make 7mm look more appealing again, and affordable !

That looked a nice big room, the new rtr are great an I highly recommend giving it another go.

Cheers

As for the 40 I'm going to start weathering this week hopefully then I'll order a Protodrive decoder off Paul.

Cheers

For the Class 40?

Yep for the 40 :D

Good job there's no council tax to pay next month as well then.

Post a video when you get chance?

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Good job there's no council tax to pay next month as well then.

Post a video when you get chance?

It helps I've sold all my 4mm locos, the 47 should be arriving at Rich's this week and he's fitting Paul's decoder for me then I'm paying Jinty a visit early March hopefully and hopefully he's going to teach me how to wire these big decoders ;)

Videos soon after.

Cheers

That looked a nice big room, the new rtr are great an I highly recommend giving it another go.

Cheers

Ha ! Yes, it was a big room !  The layout boards in the first pic are 16ftx8ft and I could have got another 2 the same size in there !

• RMweb Gold

Nothing KX related over last couple of days but I've been looking into what number for the 47 and it'll down to a shortlist of D1977-D1999 which all fit the bill, now st first 1977 seemed a good one as it thecyear I was born and 1999 as it'd possibly keep sergeant swmbo happy but having flicked through Flickr for pics of each Duff from 77 to 99 there's some nicely weathered offerings.

Something else I've started which some of you might of seen on my other thread is weathering of the D270, wheels have had their first coat and work has started on the bogie sides.

8AFF7D2B-4905-4982-9726-1A415326654A_zps

EB63EA86-8F0B-48B4-B38A-12F2221963A1_zps

842D3809-F512-430E-9591-5CD3868A031B_zps

Other news more layout related is a nice big Jiffy bag full of ash has arrived courtesy of Jonny, so many thanks mate.

Cheers

• Like 3

How do you get that greasy, covered in dust and dirt effect ? I saw you did the same on the 08. It looks far more authentic than any of the weathering I have seen on commercially weathered stuff. It's the texture that really sets it off.  Not something I have spent much time trying to do - all I have ever done was a rake of 00 gauge TTA's I did about 10 years ago, but that just involved a little air brushing to the tank body and a blow-over with some dirtied laquer from the airbrush, and I wasn't overly happy with it. Certainly doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, unlike your achievements !

post-30166-0-22867600-1486506294_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

How do you get that greasy, covered in dust and dirt effect ? I saw you did the same on the 08. It looks far more authentic than any of the weathering I have seen on commercially weathered stuff. It's the texture that really sets it off.  Not something I have spent much time trying to do - all I have ever done was a rake of 00 gauge TTA's I did about 10 years ago, but that just involved a little air brushing to the tank body and a blow-over with some dirtied laquer from the airbrush, and I wasn't overly happy with it. Certainly doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, unlike your achievements !

attachicon.gifIMG_0717.JPG

Thanks Andi they look good to me :)

It's something I've always tried to achieve which is texture to the weathering, I paint the bogies in either matt black, weathered black or roof dirt, depending what I've got in, I then add black weathering powder and a mix of light and dark earth weathering powder, I then dust it all lightly with a mix of it all. I then pick out various areas in a mix of matt black and gunmetal blue, this gives an oily diesel look (I use this on track to) I then add a bit more black powder then lightly brush with gloss varnish, toning it down with powder on a baby bud. The paint and varnish tends to hold the powder but I seal it with either railmatch matt varnish or lately I've been using testors Dull coat which I find great and saves getting the airbrush out as I'm pretty useless with that.

Hope this helps mate, think I need to add a bit more black towards the rear of the bogies and more lighter colour to the front.

Cheers

• Like 2

It's something I've always tried to achieve which is texture to the weathering, I paint the bogies in either matt black, weathered black or roof dirt, depending what I've got in, I then add black weathering powder and a mix of light and dark earth weathering powder, I then dust it all lightly with a mix of it all. I then pick out various areas in a mix of matt black and gunmetal blue, this gives an oily diesel look (I use this on track to) I then add a bit more black powder then lightly brush with gloss varnish, toning it down with powder on a baby bud. The paint and varnish tends to hold the powder but I seal it with either railmatch matt varnish or lately I've been using testors Dull coat which I find great and saves getting the airbrush out as I'm pretty useless with that.

Hope this helps mate, think I need to add a bit more black towards the rear of the bogies and more lighter colour to the front.

Cheers

Thanks Paul, the tanks are passable at a distance - like 25 feet !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Do you apply the powders to the painted parts whilst still wet/tacky or are you waiting for the paint to dry off completely ?  

I should get some powders and give it a go really, my, mostly, pristigne locos and stock are going to look pretty out of place on my dilapidated and run down looking layout ( if that ever gets any scenery done  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, the tanks are passable at a distance - like 25 feet !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Do you apply the powders to the painted parts whilst still wet/tacky or are you waiting for the paint to dry off completely ?  

I should get some powders and give it a go really, my, mostly, pristigne locos and stock are going to look pretty out of place on my dilapidated and run down looking layout ( if that ever gets any scenery done  :scratchhead:

Thanks Andi, yes I apply the powder to the wet paint in most cases but for the likes of the body I just apply the powders straight on, if you take a look at the link below to my 'Dirty Diesels' thread I'm sure there's a couple of 'How to's', but feel free to ask as many questions as you like mate :)

Cheers

Cheers

That's astonishing work on the Side frames mate, I do like your methods, wonderful. 

• RMweb Gold

Thought add ad this here to as it'll be getting fuelled at KX but D270's bogie side frames are finished and fitted.

D37D31D1-F80B-4A3E-826F-C3760F8CC1EE_zps

3045FF01-650F-456D-A4EA-33E00A9A2A55_zps

01242357-F637-45A5-AF17-836C3638F85F_zps

2219B63F-6200-46F9-B2AB-FB164EA58D47_zps

81F4C4CE-742B-463D-8579-FC09385FF2D2_zps

677BC014-6647-4D9A-AC66-6A8B043ED60D_zps

A95968DA-B0B9-46AD-BA29-7888F3ED7615_zps

34D5F5DD-C2DF-4CDD-A785-AE94A4EB56F1_zps

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You are, Sir, without doubt, an Artist when it comes to weathering ! 

I can't wait to see how KX turns out !

Thanks Andi it really is appreciated, I can't wait either, just to get going and start it I'm really excited :)

Thanks again

• Like 1