Model Rail January 2017

dibber25

I was advised by our local WH Smith recently that they are reducing the number of both male and female special interest magazines (their classification, not mine) they stock. The list I was given verbally included a number of craft titles bought by my wife, MRJ, Model Rail and number of other railway magazines. This may account for why Model Rail appears to be missing from some stores. Doesn't seem to include any reduction in pap such as Hello or other reality magazines.

Interesting, but, the good news is the transport section at the Newcastle Central station seems to still be a healthy size, and I am now reading the January Model Rail on our train to Edinburgh!

-Stephen

• RMweb Gold

I also noted that at WHSMith Westfield Stratford they have massively reduced the magazine section and moved it from the middle of the store to the far corner out of sight. It appears magazines may not be their priority any longer. Hasn't changed in the station, so I guess mags will still be prominent at stations, airports etc, but on the high street they may be looking at more profitable product lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought this issue was very weak , track plans don't do it for me and the how to tips. Well they keep saying about misting primer to look like rust..... Please show us how !

Also the 37/9 article was rubbish , the ruston engined one were a straight six not a v12 as the article states. The 37/9s were also de- silenced in the 90s but there is no mention of this.

Subscription hanging in the balance again

Sadly I have to agree on the 37/9 article. There were other errors too about the nose grilles and no mention that one of the Ruston ones had a circular exhaust for a time. The 37/9s are a bit of a minefield but I was disappointed with the article. The conversion was not the most accurate but at least it was stated to be not 100%.

Archived