Culcheth Model Railways

Ragtag

Afraid to say that whilst I prefer to post positive feedback about retailers, my experience with this one has been awful. Bought a loco online described as boxed in aftermarket box with instructions and detailing parts. Packaged unboxed, lightly bubble-wrapped and wrapped in thin card. Consequently arrived damaged. The seller agreed to take a return and replace the loco with one which matched the listing. Upon receiving my returned item they promptly refunded me the payment.

I queried this and asked that a replacement item be dispatched as agreed, which I would happily re-pay for. I'm then not entirely sure how as they sent an invoice for the correct amount, but when I re-paid for the item double the amount was taken from my PayPal account. I've now had to open a dispute with PayPal as my messages are being ignored and I don't have the time to phone due to my work hours.

My experience overall has been very negative, having to chase the shop on several occasions. Whilst I understand it's a busy time of year it's completely unacceptable to leave a customer out of pocket, especially so close to Christmas. I'd encourage anyone thinking of doing business with this lot to shop elsewhere.

Edited by Ragtag

• 2 months later...

I want to express my disgust at the blatant profiteering by railway model shops such as Culcheth in selling the Dapol Class 68 especially in the DRS Livery.
Culcheth Model Railways are currently selling within their eBay Shop DRS 68002 & 68005 at £199.95 each where they have 10 & 5 in stock respectively.
Considering Dapol's RRP was £123 or just over shows how situations like this get out of control when certain models sell very well but I am amazed at the sheer audacity to have so many in stock and still whack up to £70 on top over the original RRP, yes totally understand you can just walk away & not purchase the item but I think this is taking it a bit too far.

Regards
Steve

Edited by classy52

I want to express my disgust at the blatant profiteering by railway model shops such as Culcheth in selling the Dapol Class 68 especially in the DRS Livery.

Culcheth Model Railways are currently selling within their eBay Shop DRS 68002 & 68005 at £199.95 each where they have 10 & 5 in stock respectively.

Considering Dapol's RRP was £123 or just over shows how situations like this get out of control when certain models sell very well but I am amazed at the sheer audacity to have so many in stock and still whack up to £70 on top over the original RRP, yes totally understand you can just walk away & not purchase the item but I think this is taking it a bit too far.

Regards

Steve

I'm not disagreeing with you but the Dapol RRP was/is £145.55

I'm not disagreeing with you but the Dapol RRP was/is £145.55

I'm sorry must be mistaken, thought it was originally £123.95 but that could have been the pre-order price.

Thanks for clarifying but Culcheth's mark-up is still pretty high thus on par with DRS Shop limited edition 68001, maybe Dapol could have made a lot more because like me there is probably a load of modellers out there still wanting this loco but at the RRP.

I want to get 68002 which Culcheth have 10 in stock but I'm not paying that price, wait for the next batch I suppose.

Edited by classy52

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry must be mistaken, thought it was originally £123.95 but that could have been the pre-order price.

Thanks for clarifying but Culcheth's mark-up is still pretty high thus on par with DRS Shop limited edition 68001, maybe Dapol could have made a lot more because like me there is probably a load of modellers out there still wanting this loco but at the RRP.

I want to get 68002 which Culcheth have 10 in stock but I'm not paying that price, wait for the next batch I suppose.

next batch might have a corrected paint-job on one side

• 2 weeks later...

Regards

Steve

Free market economy, though isn't it ? If I go somewhere with only one petrol station and a monopoly should I fly into a rage cos they are not as cheap as ASDA ?

• Like 1

Free market economy, though isn't it ? If I go somewhere with only one petrol station and a monopoly should I fly into a rage cos they are not as cheap as ASDA ?

Yep can't argue with that but can't compare running out petrol with buying a model train, have noticed in the last 12 months the upward trend with model rail retailers especially those who sell on Ebay fleecing customers which for me is wrong especially when they have a good amount of stock to sell of a particular product...nothing like putting people off the hobby if you know what I mean.

Anyway I'll say it again Culcheth are taking the piss, anyway good to see they are finding it hard to shift their 68002 on Ebay @£199.95 each, maybe people are starting to wise up.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just to give these guys some priase, got a Farish B1 off them and it was a great model - worth checking their eBay shop as occasionally they drop prices by 20% which makes some stuff reasonable prices. Got my B1 whoch was already fitted with a DCC chip for less than Rails want for a model that is not chipped and has a slight motion problem.

• Like 1