RMweb

On track controls - HH2 controller

Milano

I suspect the four wires are 16v AC input and 0 to 12volt controlled out.  Conventionally wires Yellow and Blue or Green are the AC input while Track output are Red and Black.

Ideally obtain a matching 4 pin DIN socket and wire to that.   

The GM Combi is a HH controller fed from a 16v AC power supply, I can see no reason why that power supply couldn't be used, but I feel its probably not powerful enough for both controllers to be feed together.

I suspect the four wires are 16v AC input and 0 to 12volt controlled out.  Conventionally wires Yellow and Blue or Green are the AC input while Track output are Red and Black.

The GM Combi is a HH controller fed from a 16v AC power supply, I can see no reason why that power supply couldn't be used, but I feel its probably not powerful enough for both controllers to be feed together.

Thanks for the info. I opened up the controller to see what's inside to find a pot with only three wires going to the 4 pin din socket so maybe it could only be used with a On Track Controller.

Sorry, despite the 4 pin DIN plug the HH2 is 3 wire, and the OnTrack wires only carry a signal current not traction current so the wires are very much more flexible than most hand helds.

It can't be used with a Gaugemaster the operation is quite different.   The three wires all go to the centre click potentiometer the two ends and the centre moveable contact.  It is simply an alternative to the potentiometer with the knob on on the main unit.

OnTrack and the Morley which is similar are both variable voltage units which give a variable voltage, from 0 to 16 volts unlike most which give 20 volts at a variable wattage.    This gives largely equal control of widely different mechanisms, and allows double heading and banking with dissimilar mechanisms which is pretty much impossible with resistor or feed back units.  On slow speed you can light a LED off them, try that with a feedback or resistance control and watch the LED go pop.

I am a big fan of On Track, The Din Plugs are the weak point so I use stereo jack plugs instead of the 4 pin din plugs so the wires pull out without damage when I step on the wander lead.

Personally  I would get another OnTrack and sell the Gaugemaster.

Alternatively how much do you want for the HH2?

Totally correct David, the OnTrack three wire controller can only be used with an On Track system. I wonder why a 3 pin DIN plug wasn't fitted? as these are very easily obtained!

Gaugemaster models - HH, WW and WS plus Modelex and the old AMR and if I recall correctly too the old H&M hand hands all use four wires.   Two for AC input (typically 16v AC) and two controlled Track feed output wires 0v  to a nominal 12v DC. Wire insulation colours were/are... Yellow and Blue (Or Green in some 4 core cables) these are the AC input, while Red and Black are the controlled DC Track output wires.

This may be of interest to those with the above hand held controllers?... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60043-wiring-convention-for-controller-through-5-pin-din-plug/

Archived