RMweb

Skytrex 7mm PCA V Tanks?

I'm casting about for a good concept for a small blue era 7mm shunting plank, very likely an Inglenook. One idea I keep coming back to is a small cement terminal.

I've always liked V tanks, they would look great being shoved around by an 08. How is the Skytrex PCA? I think it may be my only option for a V tank in O. Little chance of me finding one locally to examine, if I order any it will be a leap of faith based on advice.

Thanks!

I quite like PCA's myself. Unfortunately it's only Skytrex ones available. They are not too bad but they are a bit tall. I got Pete Harvey to do a replacement etch walkway and handrail supports. Transfers I used are from Fox.

Thank you, Brian - I saw the photos you posted in your workbench thread a few years ago (they were the inspiration for this project), and am in talks with Skytrex in the hope the PCAs will be offered again. Pete Harvey has also already responded to an inquiry I made about the etches that you used. I am now searching for a few wagons on the used market.

Do you know if Appleby Engineering is still trading? I rather like the discharge pipe and buffers you used on yours.

Thank you, Brian - I saw the photos you posted in your workbench thread a few years ago (they were the inspiration for this project), and am in talks with Skytrex in the hope the PCAs will be offered again. Pete Harvey has also already responded to an inquiry I made about the etches that you used. I am now searching for a few wagons on the used market.

Do you know if Appleby Engineering is still trading? I rather like the discharge pipe and buffers you used on yours.

would it help if another person voiced an interest with skytrex in them re-running the PCAs?.

I keep an eye out my self on flee bay,and not so long ago a handfull came up,but i guess that they went for silly prices.

Because the last time that i had looked at the bidding they were going north of £70.00..!!.

Anyway i`d love a rake of a half dozen myself,especially in the Albright & Wilson blue livery that Brian has pictured on here.

As for Appleby Eng.,i made a couple of attempts at contacting him, once via an e-mail address that i found on line,of which i got the impression he was`nt too happy about.And once via his PO box address,of which the letter was returned to me as the PO box address was no longer valid!.

You may have better luck with another avenue,but i`ve given up now!.

Brian T.

That is unfortunate about Appleby, his discharge valve was beautiful. Does anyone know of a good substitute?

Indeed it is....

As i was looking at buying three of his VTG bogie coil wagons...... :umbrage:

Brian.

PS,

(the more voices the better!)

e-mail sent!  ;)

Edited by Tove
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tove, by all means - the more voices the better!

That is unfortunate about Appleby, his discharge valve was beautiful. Does anyone know of a good substitute?

And another voice added to the mix - emailed Skytrex this afternoon!

Rich

I think i got pretty much the same response to my e-mail that Ken had Rich.

One thing he did (skytrex) say though, he thought it was a bit of a coincidence that two people had enquired about the PCA`s in one week!!. ;)

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I've always found Skytrex very helpful and when I've sent an email inquiring about picking up a particular product at a model railway show they are attending, I've had a friendly reply from the guy who runs it. I'm sorry I don't remember his name, because he is good to deal with.

But he is a small business, I guess entirely on his own, so he doesn't have staff ready to answer everything immediately. But I'd definitely let him know that at least 3 of you are interested in the PCAs for [number] and ask him what he could do.

Contact details and other info are here

http://www.ogauge.co.uk

John Storey

I've always found Skytrex very helpful and when I've sent an email inquiring about picking up a particular product at a model railway show they are attending, I've had a friendly reply from the guy who runs it. I'm sorry I don't remember his name, because he is good to deal with.

But he is a small business, I guess entirely on his own, so he doesn't have staff ready to answer everything immediately. But I'd definitely let him know that at least 3 of you are interested in the PCAs for [number] and ask him what he could do.

Contact details and other info are here

http://www.ogauge.co.uk

John Storey

Hi John,

The owner`s name is Dave,and he was quick to respond to my e-mail.

I shall also try and have a chat with him at Bristol,(provided he`s not too busy) to show that i am genuinely interested in buying some PCA`s if they were to be re-run.

Of course i won`t say too much because it`s not my place to,so it`ll be a case of 'watch this space' to see what/and if thing`s develop.....

Cheer`s,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have updated this - yes I did have a chat with Skytrex.  They were quite surprised by the renewed interest in PCA tanks, apparently five other people had spoken to them about that this morning!  The good news is that they are going to re-release it, however ... there is a but!

I cannot totally remember the conversation now, but the chap at Skytrex is going to change the chassis a little bit, presumably to make the process easier, but needs to find out first how that changes the centre of gravity for the wagon - previously the chassis was quite heavy so the centre of gravity was low.  However, that will happen over the next couple of weeks, and then the wagon will be released but as a KIT, not ready-to-run.  I get the feeling it will be a fairly easy kit, the barrel will be moulded so doubtful there'll be any bending, the chassis will be whitemetal/resin I gather.  But the outcome was it will be out in about 6-8 weeks.

Skytrex are also doing a TTA tank (I presume as a kit again, although I forgot to ask so could be RTR) that will be out first, probably about 4-6 weeks, so in essence watch the website!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have updated this - yes I did have a chat with Skytrex.  They were quite surprised by the renewed interest in PCA tanks, apparently five other people had spoken to them about that this morning!  The good news is that they are going to re-release it, however ... there is a but!

I cannot totally remember the conversation now, but the chap at Skytrex is going to change the chassis a little bit, presumably to make the process easier, but needs to find out first how that changes the centre of gravity for the wagon - previously the chassis was quite heavy so the centre of gravity was low.  However, that will happen over the next couple of weeks, and then the wagon will be released but as a KIT, not ready-to-run.  I get the feeling it will be a fairly easy kit, the barrel will be moulded so doubtful there'll be any bending, the chassis will be whitemetal/resin I gather.  But the outcome was it will be out in about 6-8 weeks.

Skytrex are also doing a TTA tank (I presume as a kit again, although I forgot to ask so could be RTR) that will be out first, probably about 4-6 weeks, so in essence watch the website!

Rich

Thanks for the update Rich.

Regards

Dave

I emailed Dave at Skytrex about the TTA and got the following reply:

''We can't compete with Dapol & Heljan on ready to run price and quality but we have had enough enquiries to make it worthwhile running some of those models again as basic kits of parts. To that end, the HAA is now available for £25 (not on the website yet, just took some to Bristol last weekend). I've just moulded the TTA chassis which will give us the TTA, MTA & POA. The PCA is next. We've just sold the last of the PFA but I could do that again. There was also an HTA & HEA. Aside from that I'm moulding the Bogie Bolster. So basically put your requests in and watch the website.''

Sounds like some good stuff on the way.

Paul

I`m glad your on the ball Rich & Paul,as i`d forgot to put my update on here as i`d promised!.

Anyway further to what has already been said about the PCA`s,(and to re-fresh Rich`s memory!!)

Dave explained,that the original PCA`s had a white metal underframe and that he was in the procces of re-designing it to use a resin one instead.(and for future model`s, as Paul has pointed out above)

Anyway the up shot of that is,because the bodies are of a solid casting,he`s looking at making them hollow so the center of gravity is lower and so reduces the risk of them toppling over on curves.

I did see the 'new' chassis frame,and it does look very nice, though like a fool i forgot to see what the HAA look like....douh!.

I emailed Dave at Skytrex about the TTA and got the following reply:

''We can't compete with Dapol & Heljan on ready to run price and quality but we have had enough enquiries to make it worthwhile running some of those models again as basic kits of parts. To that end, the HAA is now available for £25 (not on the website yet, just took some to Bristol last weekend). I've just moulded the TTA chassis which will give us the TTA, MTA & POA. The PCA is next. We've just sold the last of the PFA but I could do that again. There was also an HTA & HEA. Aside from that I'm moulding the Bogie Bolster. So basically put your requests in and watch the website.''

Sounds like some good stuff on the way.

Paul

Paul,

I don`t suppose he said which POA he was thinking of making as i could do with quite a few of the original scrap wagon`s from the eighties.

Cheers,

Brian.

I`m glad your on the ball Rich & Paul,as i`d forgot to put my update on here as i`d promised!.

Anyway further to what has already been said about the PCA`s,(and to re-fresh Rich`s memory!!)

Dave explained,that the original PCA`s had a white metal underframe and that he was in the procces of re-designing it to use a resin one instead.(and for future model`s, as Paul has pointed out above)

Anyway the up shot of that is,because the bodies are of a solid casting,he`s looking at making them hollow so the center of gravity is lower and so reduces the risk of them toppling over on curves.

I did see the 'new' chassis frame,and it does look very nice, though like a fool i forgot to see what the HAA look like....douh!.

Paul,

I don`t suppose he said which POA he was thinking of making as i could do with quite a few of the original scrap wagon`s from the eighties.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian. No he did not state which POA. It was just a direct copy of the email

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Yes, that was what he said :) You have a better memory than me Brian :). Thanks for that.

Rich

• 1 year later...

Draging up an old thread, but this blog report - http://railblogs.co.uk/telford18/ - about Telford Guildex this year has a piece about Skytrex and shows the cement tanker (in kit form) on their stand. If it's priced like the HAA hopper at £25 or so, that has to be a fair bargain for a modern era wagon.

Nothing on Skytrex's own website as yet.

Edited by F-UnitMad