Hornby crank pin replacement

Gentlemen,

On taking the body off my Hornby rebuilt M.Navy I discovered that the coupling rod on the rear 2 axles had come away minus the retaining pin on the middle axle.It seemed that the rod came away leaving the pin in situe so I was able to save it.

My question is --how best to effect a good repair--Is the pin supposed to be force fit?--use black tac to position the pin and press home?--Do I need a glue application?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ps this followed the need to glue the metal top to the valve motion in place.

Moving things on a little-----have reassembled but cannot get a good firm crank pin penetration thro, the eye of the coupling rod to the

matching eye it is supposed to fit into behind--the pin waddles in the reassembly and locks up the drive because of the angle created.

I,ll next try a thin nosed pair of fine pliers to see if I can re-establish a firm fit.

Everything else is in good order/quartering / valve gear/motor drive etc

It may seem a little strange as I continue to converse with myself (imminent mental problem?)but I think I am making progress and others

may benefit from my monologue.

Having found the Hornby M.N SERVICE SHEET 267C I have found on the spares list X8855, a picture showing a small parts pack X8855.

This contains both the pin and the MISSING BUSH used to connect the 2 parts of the coupling rods.This would explain why the drive locked up.

Have just ordered the small parts pack of ebay and I will hopefully finalise my saga positively in due course.

regards,Ed

• RMweb Gold

You're not talking to yourself, you're tackling a problem no one else, (me included, as I model diesels, so hardly surprising!) has presumably encoumtered.

You've solved the problem yourself, and provided a valiable resource for everyone else on here, consider yourself a modeller!

Mike.

Gentlemen----sorry to report a slight change in approach.

The small parts kit contains the pin and bush used to connect the front part of the coupling rod to the centre driver--not the pin to jointhe front/rear parts of the coupling rod just behind the boss of middle driver.

There is a considerable amount of slop/free movement of this rear coupling rod where it mates up with the rear driver ----where a speedo

has been removed.I think this has caused the problem over time--up until this "coming apart" there was no problem.

I need to reduce the side play on this pin projecting out from the back driver with a suitable collar or replacement pin from the small

parts set ordered.I may also find a pin of good fit to replace and secure the worn pin used to connect the two parts of the coupling rod.

I will not be fitting a speedo as this would not fit into my era.

I will keep you posted!!!

--As per per normal I need to "grind these model engineering issues out".

Hope I am not boring anyone with my goings on!!!

regards,Ed

Archived