can i bypass a DCC PCB in a DC loco

millerhillboy

got a Dapol britannia which became faulty, a component between the actual motor terminals and the feed down from the PCB burnt out. Quite why I'm really not sure.

There is one of these components on each of the feeds from the PCB but only one has burnt out. There is also a cluster of capacitors between the feeds which I'd guess is suppression. I'm guessing the components are diodes to protect the PCB or the chip more likely from back EMFs or something like that.

Anyway, I temporarily bypassed this burnt out component as I read these are only needed for DCC applications which mines is not. However when i did this the motor still did not run when power applied at the wheel, but it did run if I touched the supply wires to the solder points feeding the motor, but not the solder points where the PCB is feed from the pickups.

My question is can Ijust bypass the PCB, and hardwire the feeds from the pickup straight on the motor feeds with the suppression in place?

Go  for  it!  But   be  careful  not  to  use  excessive  voltage  when  running  the  loco.  You  could forget  the  suppression too,

A  friend  of  mine  has  got   some   N gauge  locos  rewired in  this  way,  ( Mostly  from  the  same  manfr.  as  your  Brit.

As  a  matter  of  interest  I  have  owned  several  Bachmann 7mm ( 0 Gauge)  Brass locos,   these  are  superbly  running  items , and  as  supplied    the  internal  wiring  consists  of    2  wires  form  the  pickups  to  the  motor,  no  PCBs !!  No  capacitors  ( suppressors)  no  nothin!!

I would simply bin the PCB and hard wire pickups to motor (making sure it was done the right way round?) and solder a big ceramic cap in parallel with the motor, if you need suppression.    I guess these N gauge motors like 21 volts even less than 00 ones so maybe make sure you are using an N gauge controller.   I made the mistake of trying to run 00 trains off an N gauge OnTrack controller and they barely moved and only advanced bodgery made the controller useable, so maybe  the converse applies and the PCB goes pop in protest.

Archived