Factory Low Relief Backscene for Stourhampton

28XX

Nice, but no mention of scale.

Also having printed the windows does that mean they are solid and not glazed? They look fine from the photo but I'm always a little wary of non see through 'glass' on models. But I guess the size (as a result of the scale) and location on the layout will have a bearing.

G.

It is 4mm scale. Yes the windows are opaque. There is no depth to model interiors, and it is at the back of the layout. There will be full depth models in front, notably the South signal box, level crossing and streetscape.

• RMweb Gold

Nice, but no mention of scale.

Also having printed the windows does that mean they are solid and not glazed? They look fine from the photo but I'm always a little wary of non see through 'glass' on models. But I guess the size (as a result of the scale) and location on the layout will have a bearing.

G.

You couldn't see through the windows on railway waorkshops I worked in, usually because there was no way you could get to clean the inside.

You couldn't see through the windows on railway waorkshops I worked in, usually because there was no way you could get to clean the inside.

Yep, I've certainly seen plenty of dirty windows in workshops. But I guess that means the dirt was on the inside which would to replicate would need glazing on the outside. :O 

I'm surprised that no one used a rag on a stick to reach and wipe a round patch to allow some light through - these days I've noticed many window cleaners have a modern equivalent of a rag on a stick in the form of a sponge and squeegee on a long extendable pole that is feed water through tube so they can clean upstairs windows standing on the ground and without needing a ladder.

G. 

I think we often forget that our models are meant to be a fair representation of the real thing in miniature and not an absolute copy , space is for most people in short supply and does a Bachman steamer have a real fire inside ? , for me personally I think the factory looks great .

I think we often forget that our models are meant to be a fair representation of the real thing in miniature and not an absolute copy , space is for most people in short supply and does a Bachman steamer have a real fire inside ? , for me personally I think the factory looks great .

I certainly think that the factory looks great and wasn't advocating that there be working people and machinery inside it. And, of course, we often need to make concessions and compression depending on space, time, finances and materials available. But we all have our own preferences and standards that we try to work to and adhere to.

For example there are those who like to get their models as close as possible to accurate miniature representations and others who are happy with a rough broad brush impressionist approach and style. Neither is exclusively right or wrong and most of us fall somewhere between those extreams - I prefer glazed windows over sold opaque ones but I wouldn't attempt to make a building model brick by brick (certainly not in my chosen scale of N/2mm). Consequently I wouldn't agree that our models are only meant to be a fair representation - there are modellers who go much further in their pursuits and acheive standards I can only dream of and the factory looks to be better than just a fair representation. But it all makes for a richer more diverse hobby.

G

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If any Bachmann model, steam or otherwise, has a fire inside, something has gone horribly wrong...

Archived