Ashurst for bitcorn

Southern matt 982

I think why I can not think of a name because I can not decide to make it as a town or a village. This how it is now

Remember virtually every town was once a village or hamlet, when a town grows the name does not usually change.

For example  Ashford (the ford where the ash trees grow) as well as the Ashford in Kent, with the railway works,

there are two Ashfords in Devon which both remain as villages.

cheers

• Like 1

The Kent station it most reminds me of, especially with the Terriers and Schools, the single storey station building (although I think the original was wooden clap-board? but no matter) and the three platforms (although not the largish loco shed area but that is modeller's licence) is Headcorn.

Before remodelling by the SR in the early 1930's (when two fast, through lines were inserted between re-built main line platforms), this was previously called Headcorn Junction and the 3rd platform was used for the branch services to the Kent and East Sussex Railway, for which your Terriers are perfect. I suggest this name and location for your consideration, and assume the station was never re-modelled (so you can still run your BR stock too!).

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 3

I have came up with a made up name for the layout I'm going to cell it ashtham. I think it sounds like a place in Kent.

Thank you to all for your help and support its very appreciated.

I'll still be putting updates on the work being carried out.

Matt

Edited by Southern matt 982

I have came up with a made up name for the layout I'm going to cell it ashtham. I think it sounds like a place in Kent.

Thank you to all for your help and support its very appreciated.

I'll still be putting updates on the work being carried out.

Matt

Your layout, you call it what you want!!

But, if you are seeking opinions......it sounds more like somewhere in Narnia than Kent. ****tham is more akin to Lincolnshire. Why not stick to Asham, or perhaps Aversham? or Ashcorn?  or Ashstone? or Stapleham? or Maidham? or Tentersham? or something...... But it IS your layout, so ignore my view by all means!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some rather nice verdant scenery down towards those tunnels, so perhaps a name with green in it. Or if its southernish , a nod to the continent. Verdham? Lots of trees, Ashdon? A stream towards the left hand bridge would be fun to model, so a name with bridge or ford in it might be fitting, and there are plenty about. 

I like the panda police car too, that takes me back to my youth..... 

• Like 2

Hi Matt - I hope it won't be too late to suggest a minor rethink on the name, although as Mike says of course it's your layout and entirely up to you! :) Ashtham seems a little bit awkward to pronounce and is not a combination of forms you would be likely to see. Hailing from Sussex and knowing Kent very well, I do agree that any of Mike's suggestions would fit very well (if you are still looking for a Kent/Sussex theme). And second SouthernBlue80s comment that Ashurst is a particularly strong one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ashurst is not quite as common as Sutton but there are two staitons by that name on the former SR.  One in the New Forest already noted and the other on the Uckfield line.  Neither precludes the use of the name elsewhere as it remains perfectly plausible and, given there are two such stations already, why not three?

• Like 3

Hi all I have had a major rethink of the name for the layout. I'm going to call it Ashurst for bitcorn.

I think that is a good decision! Can you change the title of this thread now (to the new name), so you don't get inundated with even more suggestions? Then we can all just enjoy the layout's progress.