TEFS visit to West Germany August 1974

Trev52A

Some more great shots there, Bill. Looks like 012 063-4 eluded me, unless it was in a distant photo, too far away to identify. (Doesn't look like it has any distinguishing marks to spot from a distance.)

Such as this one, of a southbound train north of Meppen. This would have been a great spot if there was some exhaust - it must have been slowing for the station stop. The line in the background branched away from the mainline just north of the station. If I remember correctly, I saw a small diesel with a couple of wagons crossing the bridge but didn't bother with a photo.

Cheers

Trevor

post-24907-0-73763200-1488877826_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Trevor, that's a really interesting location (and one I never knew). A coal fired loco slowing for the stop would probably have produced more smoke but I suppose with an oil-fired one the supply of oil to the burners would be turned off completely; all the same, it's still a worthwhile shot.

Do you know exactly what time of day it was taken? - it should be possible to work out the probable identity of the loco from the diagrams (which appear in WS), if you'd seen the corresponding northbound working earlier in the day. 

Possibilities are D1736 13:35 ex Norddeich Mole (loco worked north on D1731 09:12 ex Rheine) or E2730 15:09 ex Norddeich Mole (loco worked north on D735 11:01 ex Rheine). Given the Silberling behind the baggage van it was perhaps more likely to have been the E train?

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Bill, it seemed a good idea to work out the identity of the 012 by the diagrams, but I can't tell much from my notes. Also my earlier northbound shots include some where I was also too far away to identify the loco. To be honest I didn't have much of an idea at the time about loco diagrams, I was really just 'flying blind'! 

Here are a couple more taken on my final day in the area, on 18th August 1974 north of Lingen, before we caught our train back to Rheine for the return journey home. I can hear the sound of barrels being scraped as I uploaded these two shots, as I don't really have many more passable photos to show!

However, thanks to everyone for sharing their pics and info on the subject, even though no-one on the same trip came forward. I am tempted to resurrect an earlier thread of mine from 2014 trying to track down members of a trip to South Africa in 1976, but with more photos this time. See you on another thread!

Cheers

Trevor

post-24907-0-72822500-1489136253_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-39024000-1489136278_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Trevor and Bill for sharing these photos from the last days of West German steam.  I'm quite jealous of you being able to go, having been too young myself and my only experience of revenue earning steam in Germany was being banked by a Class 50 out of Aachen Hbf on a train to Oostende, returning from a school trip.  In recent years I've been to Germany many times and visited Plandampf / Dampfspektakel / Dampfest events as well as preserved lines, but spectacular though these can be, they're not quite the 'real thing'!

Thanks again,

Steve

Thanks to Trevor and Bill for sharing these photos from the last days of West German steam.  I'm quite jealous of you being able to go, having been too young myself and my only experience of revenue earning steam in Germany was being banked by a Class 50 out of Aachen Hbf on a train to Oostende, returning from a school trip.  In recent years I've been to Germany many times and visited Plandampf / Dampfspektakel / Dampfest events as well as preserved lines, but spectacular though these can be, they're not quite the 'real thing'!

Thanks again,

Steve

You're welcome Steve, I'm just sorry that, like Trevor, I'm now scraping the barrel, at least as far as lineside shots are concerned.  Mind you, I think Trevor was being a bit modest when he used that term when referring to his two latest offerings! Although I could show more shed shots at Rheine, I feel that would get a bit tedious.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments Steve, and also Bill. I suspect like Bill I am rather running out of steam with pics from West Germany, but some great memories to look back on.

Incidentally, has any else had a go at making these 'photobooks'? This is where you download the software (loads of sites offer it, such as Jessops) and compose your books pages online and eventually get a picture book in the post (or collect from a Jessops store, in my case, thus saving on postage.). A great way of combining b&w and colour shots in one place, provided you have your original negs and slides digitally scanned to start with. I made one last year which is a great reminder of my trip to Rheine, complete with captions etc.

(Needless to say I do not have any commercial interest in Jessops, they are just one of the firms I have tried.)

Cheers

Trevor

• 6 months later...

The shots I showed earlier this year were all from my first foreign venture in the late summer of 1974. With the demise of the 012 Pacifics imminent, I made a second foray to Germany in early May of the following year, but only allowed two days on the Rheine - Emden line, nowhere near enough time to do it justice, especially when it rained for the whole of the first day and the weather was mediocre on the second. I returned home with less than a full roll of exposures and although I developed the film promptly it was put to one side and I never printed anything from it. More recently I've scanned about half of the shots but thanks to poor storage of the film there was so much work required to clean the scans up in Photoshop that I baulked at doing so. 

However I recently worked up enough enthusiasm to sort out this one picture which looked quite promising, having been taken during a spell when the sun was shining, albeit weakly. The date is 10th May 1975 and the location is just south of Lathen, where southbound trains were faced with just about the only significant adverse gradient between Emden and Rheine. Oil-fired 2-10-0 No. 043 167 and 2-8-2 No. 042 083 are approaching the summit (which if I remember correctly was in a cutting just before the level crossing with the then B70 main road). The normal motive power for these 4,000 t iron-ore trains was two 2-10-0s, but the use of a class 042 was by no means unusual, although perhaps the 2-8-2 would normally have acted as pilot.

post-13954-0-47044100-1506936938_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I didn't go with TEFS so I

wasn't on the 1974 tour.My first visit was with LCGB in April 1972.094-150 Emden Hbf to Ihrhove Linesiding (I recall 043-606)042-241 Ihrhove to Oldenburg and 050 back to Emden Aussenhafen on the Saturday night .Sunday Morning 011-062 Emden to Lingen for works visit.082 was recorded as 082-035 and 094-692 was parked with it.Inside the works was 001-111 (Hof. depot!)051-724 was outside awaiting repainting.

011-062 to Rheine then 012-092 to Hagen.050-439 to Marienheide joined by 055-455 en route.From Wupprtal Oberbarmen behind 044-672 to Kleve.

I did 4 trips in 12 months from September 1975.First two were with Steam Safaris but I only did Emden on the first one.Thesecond(march 1976) was a shed bash of Rheine, the remaining Ruhr sheds and Ottbergen.May 1976 was an LCGB tour which started with a spell in Rheine shed.I met a soldier on that tour and that led to the fourth tour in September which was spent Linesiding.

Soothes latter tours were recorded on 35 mm slides which I still have! Happy Memories