Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lattice iron work in etched brass

Is there a maker of lattice iron work in etched brass form, about 2 foot by two foot or near size to take within it or on top of it a few pipes in the factory setting for a brewery, it would run from the boiler house to the brewery buildings and then between the buildings, about 20 feet above the yard, with several asbestos insulted pipes, and iron exhaust pipes, and power cables.

The pipes and cables are no problem, but a lattice bridge support framework seems difficult to trace on the net.

Stephen

About 4 to 6mm square to take 3 to 4mm pipes (rods with heat shrink over them, white for asbestos, in real life a 5 inch to 8 inch pipe for exhaust steam, and three inch white asbestos lagged high pressure steam pipes. The larger exhaust pressure pipe could be slung under the lattice work on cables,

There would also be hot water feeds in smaller pipes from the boiler house to the brewery block, also electric cables could be run on the same framework, copper cable with black heatshrink to scale at about 1.5mm diameter.

Would this be any good?  Available in larger and smaller sizes.   I have soldered two lengths on top of each other to create an X effect.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Item/Brass-truss-5mm-7-lengths/ITM1921

Edward

Yes, and they do different sizes as well, and a bit cheaper than Scalelink. I can do the rest in square brass wire or sections, it is the tedious lattice work that is far too time consuming to scratch build these days.

I also see that they do Rustins brass restorer, haven't been able to get that locally for years, a mixture of phosphoric acid and alcohol to clean brass perfectly.

The 2,5mm size would be OK, it represents about 7 inch lattice which could take one larger exhaust return pipe through it, plus supporting two smaller pipes hanging on straps underneath, both lagged white, (heat shrink), as hot water and steam high pressure.

The 2.5 comes in 11 lengths as well, much more economic all round. The supports can be concrete or brickwork towers or the walls of the buildings being served with the pipes.

Other pipes will be needed on the outside of the brewhouse for fresh water supplies and drainage to sumps etc. These would be vertical and strapped to the building face.

I have ordered the new ladder etches from Severn Models for the ladders for the main chimney on the brewery, and some brass railing fences to ad to the brick wall tops, so quite a bit of etched parts

• RMweb Premium

The 2,5mm size would be OK, it represents about 7 inch lattice which could take one larger exhaust return pipe through it, plus supporting two smaller pipes hanging on straps underneath, both lagged white, (heat shrink), as hot water and steam high pressure.

The 2.5 comes in 11 lengths as well, much more economic all round. The supports can be concrete or brickwork towers or the walls of the buildings being served with the pipes.

Other pipes will be needed on the outside of the brewhouse for fresh water supplies and drainage to sumps etc. These would be vertical and strapped to the building face.

I have ordered the new ladder etches from Severn Models for the ladders for the main chimney on the brewery, and some brass railing fences to ad to the brick wall tops, so quite a bit of etched parts

if you draw the dwf I would laser cut it in 0.8mm ply for you 

Nick

if you draw the dwf I would laser cut it in 0.8mm ply for you 

Nick

Many thanks but ordered already this afternoon. It will also be better in brass to add soldered on straps for the hanging pipes underneath, and braces on the columns etc, ( and Scalelink do so nice fancy iron work braces which suit the period.)

Stephen

Archived