Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Making Ash piles (in wagons and on yards/sheds)

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have a realistic looking method of making ash piles?  I need some ash piles for my N13s and will need some for my shed when the time comes.

Do you have at least one colour photo of your chosen location for guidance? The true ash  - from the ashpan - is the incombustible mineral residue of the coal. It can range in colour from pale grey-white through cream tones to pinky brown shades. In a loco shed trackside disposal setting it will usually be heaped with part combusted coal from dropped fires, and the smokebox char which is typically very dark grey; with a piebald or mixed appearance in consequence. Transferred to a wagon for transport to a tip, there is inevitably mixing to a more blended mid grey.

I quite like crushed vermiculite or similar, Suggests the right texture and provides a light tone, easily stained to represent the darker materials.

Have you considered two Peco products - PS-320 (ash & cinders fine grade) and PS-364 (ash dust)?  Actually, I see that there is also PS-321 (ash & cinders medium grade).  I have used the ash dust in a couple of my wagons and for scattering in the yard. Hattons in the UK seem to have both grades of the ash & cinders mix, and Rails of Sheffield have the dust.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium

Some good suggestions there.

Will definitely have to try on some old birthday cards before i try it on the models.  Especially the Klear method.

I model in N so use sifted ash from a bonfire that has been naturally weathered for a few months , it does the job for me .

In both the pictures below neat cement mixed with a little talc was used to produce the ash.This was heaped up then 'froze' with diluted PVA with a little washing up liquid added to break down the surface tension.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-26017400-1483888087_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-25861700-1483888146.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have a realistic looking method of making ash piles?  I need some ash piles for my N13s and will need some for my shed when the time comes.

Years ago, (1983), when it wasn't politically incorrect, I made ash piles with ballast mixed with PVA glue for the shape, topped off with cigarette ash.

It looks fine to me :-

post-2274-0-98187100-1483890006_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-13295500-1483890056_thumb.jpg

Hay and straw are always difficult, too; I used dried bullrush 'fluff' stuck down with PVA.

post-2274-0-35243700-1483890171_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

We used the real thing on the Club layout, a couple of lumps of clinker 'borrowed' from a Heritage line, ground up with a pestle and mortar, sieved and piled up. The finished pile was then sprayed with water and detergent, then water and PVA or latex.

Peter

post-18627-0-97827200-1483899754_thumb.jpg

Archived