"Huff and Puff" - RMW still working well for me...................

halsey

• RMweb Gold

look what you started - combine a cold wet snowy un-inspiring day

AND ................................

3 sheets of 240 wet and dry, placed for effect (not fixed)

this is RMW at its best - I don't think I would have got to this idea on my own - but obviously far too clean and clinical for a finished product!

Cheers

post-27634-0-28043500-1486822937_thumb.jpg

post-27634-0-16723700-1486822938_thumb.jpg

Edited by halsey

look what you started - combine a cold wet snowy un-inspiring day

AND ................................

3 sheets of 240 wet and dry, placed for effect (not fixed)

this is RMW at its best - I don't think I would have got to this idea on my own - but obviously far too clean and clinical for a finished product!

Cheers

Thank you for testing this out for me :)

I would move that station building along a bit if possible. That loco on the forecourt look is a little jarring.

I used sandpaper for my grade crossing, but the stuff I bought was green, so I had to paint it grey (as Mick Jagger never sang). The texture is a indeed winner though.

• RMweb Gold

Only point to this post is so the thread turns up in "My Content" - and to thank you for the credit in the other thread which reminded me you'd moved!

The credit was well deserved by my entire 2015/16 support team..........................

Edited by halsey

• RMweb Gold

I would move that station building along a bit if possible. That loco on the forecourt look is a little jarring.

I used sandpaper for my grade crossing, but the stuff I bought was green, so I had to paint it grey (as Mick Jagger never sang). The texture is a indeed winner though.

I agree, and thought the same when I saw the photo - but that's my price for operational considerations I'm afraid - there is a lot of operational capability fitted (squeezed) into a very small space.

It can move about an inch and I could possibly shorten the track a couple of inches so that would help - these tweaks are going on all the time at the moment - photos are very useful to expose them.

The goods shed environment was massively improved by photo inspired improvements.

All comments are good so keep them coming.

BFN

• RMweb Gold

I agree, and thought the same when I saw the photo - but that's my price for operational considerations I'm afraid - there is a lot of operational capability fitted (squeezed) into a very small space.

It can move about an inch and I could possibly shorten the track a couple of inches so that would help - these tweaks are going on all the time at the moment - photos are very useful to expose them.

The goods shed environment was massively improved by photo inspired improvements.

All comments are good so keep them coming.

BFN

Better................. don't forget the sheets are just placed to improve the context and get the brain cells working.....................

post-27634-0-64901800-1486900719_thumb.jpg

post-27634-0-78498200-1486900754_thumb.jpg

Edited by halsey

I'm sure there are plenty of 'real' examples where there are sidings opposite the station building.  Bewdley on the SVR springs to mind as one.  Of course yours is somewhat compressed, but so are most of our model railways, and a bit of fencing will provide a demarcation, to prevent passengers wandering onto the tracks.

• RMweb Gold

Both comments taken on board chaps - I know SVR and Bewdley well (perhaps that why it didn't feel "wrong") - however I do think it looks better now and the siding use isn't compromised as its only for locos accessing the engine shed environment or a loco and one parcels feeding the depot  - the benefit is that it does now provide a better balanced environment for parcels road vehicles.

BFN

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure by now you have realised I like Superquick kits!

Just finished building a discontinued signal box £3.50 and 3 days enjoyment - it doesn't get much better - I just need to paint the stairs and weather it.

Location not its final resting place

Once again a photo has highlighted something - I've not blended in the card joint by the bottom of the stairs well enough - a job for the morning!

post-27634-0-48609100-1487175853_thumb.jpg

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

Sadly Hornbys 0-6-0 chassis doesn't like Peco SL86/87 curved turnouts!

Island Railways were very good and have taken it back with no problems and all costs (incl return postage) refunded.

I now need to find an inexpensive alternative.

All good fun (not).

That's odd. I've got a couple of the (tighter?) Setrack curved points on my progressing layout (very small baseboard overall), and the Hornby J52 that I recently disposed of ran pretty well through them, as does a Bachmann 03 shunter, though a fairly old 2-6-2 Ivatt tank with rather sloppy pony truck occasionally baulks and has derailed on occasion - but only when it faces one particular direction.

By the way, I agree - Superquick kits are great, the goods shed goes together really well. Going to have a bash at weathering mine soon.

Edited by Huggy

• RMweb Gold

That's odd. I've got a couple of the (tighter?) Setrack curved points on my progressing layout (very small baseboard overall), and the Hornby J52 that I recently disposed of ran pretty well through them, as does a Bachmann 03 shunter, though a fairly old 2-6-2 Ivatt tank with rather sloppy pony truck occasionally baulks and has derailed on occasion - but only when it faces one particular direction.

By the way, I agree - Superquick kits are great, the goods shed goes together really well. Going to have a bash at weathering mine soon.

I have to admit that opinions vary massively on this issue of the running quality of curved points but these are streamline and "perfectly laid" and new and they simply threw this loco off on the frogs.

All other rolling stock and locos present no problem including the replacement which arrived yesterday a very sweet eBay purchase of a mint boxed Bachmann Jinty for £32.50! 

I shall be watching your spray booth blog with interest ...........

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Hornbys 0-6-0 chassis doesn't like Peco SL86/87 curved turnouts!

Island Railways were very good and have taken it back with no problems and all costs (incl return postage) refunded.

I now need to find an inexpensive alternative.

All good fun (not).

I acquired a Hornby Jinty on e-bay which turned out to be rather ancient (maybe even Tri-ang!) and it won't look at any of my Streamline Code 100 points.  A later version has no problems.

Hope you find a suitable functioning solution.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In case you were wondering why I've been a bit quiet - the attached picures will explain .......................

I've attached a "before" from my other topic as a reminder taken app a 6 months ago.

This is 3 kits made to make up a 135cm length of retaining wall/arches - a great Townscene kit very adaptable and with care (app 40hrs) looks pretty good for app £10 each?

post-27634-0-55666500-1488294167.jpg

post-27634-0-30646000-1488294179_thumb.jpg

post-27634-0-19530100-1488294180_thumb.jpg

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No photos but a heck of a lot of work has gone on......................esp if you are my age with a bad back and a replaced hip! :superman:

I have "liberated" from general household use a brick built store 7'6" x 5'6" which we have at the front/side of the house (it was the "loos" to the old meeting rooms which we now live in) and I have now fully sorted it with a fitted solid workbench and shelving - it already had power and a radiator from the house dating back to our original conversion - it is now the "engineering shed" and I look forward to using it for hours of kit-building/weathering.

As a result I have re-organised the space in the railway shed such that the all the above layout shelves and "stuff" is now underneath the baseboards which provides a MUCH better and cleaner impression of the layout when you enter the room. :imsohappy:

I'm not totally over the moon about having 2 separate areas, one for mess and one for "playing trains", but there really wasn't much alternative if the layout was to fully develop in what is after all a pretty small space 9' x 7' 

That's probably it for this winter - 7 months of canal boating will be upon us very soon - I guess next winter will be about loads of ballasting (app 60 meters of track and app 25 turnouts!) and lots of weathering!!

Thanks to RMW members for all your support once again - no one is more surprised than me at what I have achieved over just 2 winters without being disillusioned and/or needing to re-mortgage!

Even SWMBO is happy!! :)

BFN

PS - Just had another look this morning and the "layout" DOES look loads better without the above baseboard shelves and clutter, very pleased  - well worth the effort.

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found myself with a couple of hours to spare and lots of spare "bits" from other parts of the layout so I've used them to create a more realistic "end" to my bridge, the other end holds the elevated hinge arrangement so will stay grey.

That will be it for now - just about to start putting locos away and all the cardboard models in the house for the summer months. :sungum:

BFN

post-27634-0-05311000-1489654124_thumb.jpg

post-27634-0-70686200-1489654124_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Before you head for the canals, is the station building from Superquick?   A modified version of that might be the job for my layout too, depending on its dimensions.   Yours is coming along great - enjoy the boating!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I can easily say yes to that question as all my models (apart from the retaining wall) are from that range - BUT some are early "original" range and harder to find.

Unless you are really lucky on eBay Cheltenham models actually seem to be the best prices for the current range but early stuff is almost always eBay territory - I do find it necessary to "qualify" eBay purchases by asking if the kits/models have been stored flat or in sunlight and also to ask for extra stiffening/packaging as the post office do like to bend them!

The stations/platforms used are different and cover all options in the range (A1-4 incl) - see both my topics for the detail.

The signal boxes are a good example of old v new as the kit ref is the same but as you can see the two model variants aren't!

The early kits are less detailed but have a nostalgia about them and usually the instructions are about as useful as a chocolate ashtray.

Whilst I'm rambling I use rocket glue to build and stabilo felt pens to finish all edges.

BFN

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just in case you are only watching this topic/thread in relation to my layout experiences PLEASE look at my other earlier topic/thread relating to layout/build issues as I have posted revision suggestions within that topic and am looking for feedback.

For the time being until the layout revision issues are resolved I will only post there to avoid confusion...............................

Thanks all,

BFN