Zimo MXULFA query

bigal10

Hi Folks,

Santa kindly delivered a shiny new Zimo MXULFA, with a bit of help from the elves at Digitrains!

And, with even more help from Pauliebanger, I've got all 13 of my Zimo powered Diesels, and all 3 Steam locos now up to date with Zimo's latest decoder software, Ver 36.8

So now I'm starting on the adventure of upgrading all loco's to the newest sounds, courtesy of Paul, and some cash from me!

But, I have a small problem with my only non-sound Zimo decoder, an MX622, hard-wired into a Halling Tram chassis.

I am doing these updates using a spare length of track, connected to Schiene/Track out on MXULFA.

I also have MXTAP, for which I will use SUSI connection for Sound Updates later.

I have downloaded Zimo's latest software file from their website, DS161115.ZPP which contains DS161115.ZSU which, according to their website includes firmware for all their current decoders.

I have the ZSU file in the root directory of a USB stick, and this has successfully upgraded all 16 sound decoders, however, I cannot get the MXULFA to do the same for the MX622...

When I run the update routine by pressing button 1 on MXULFA, it does the read and write of CV144 and CV29, and then reports that no decoder exists!

Which is odd, as the MXULFA can read the decoder, and tell me that it's current firmware is V31.14, 

I'm assuming I need  different ZSU file on the USB stick? 

Or something else?

Any help gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan,

Confused, of Bury !

• RMweb Premium

I don't think many in this country will have the nice shiny device - and I see you have even the version with the display... I am not of help as I am still using MXDECUP - the old version....

But what you should check: do you have a stay alive function on your tram? if this is not wired correctly the decoder (and the stay alive) will work nicely but updating will be a problem.

You said the decoder is hard wired? so no chance to get it out?

Vecchio

Oddly, all my sound decoders DO have stay-alives, and HAVE updated OK....

If I don't get any further answers, I can resort to unwiring the 622, (there's no fixed body on the tram as yet, - a somewhat aged Tower Models Feltham is being prepared !)

Ciao, Vecchio,

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

An MX622 needs a different update file to the one for sound decoders. You need to use the file from the download with FA at the end of its name.

If you are unsure check the readme file and all will become clear!

I'm glad that updating sounds from Paul is straightforward, I'm awaiting instructions from him re updated one of my sound decoders.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Whoops, sorry Shropie, the FA suffix didn't work either. The MXULFA still says 'Decoder not Found' at the end of the read/write of CV144 / CV29.

I'm going to have to unwire (well actually I have made some plug/socket connectors, so unplug) the decoder, and connect it to the MXTAP / MXULFA .

I'll let you know of progress.

Yes, the updating of sounds from Paul is very straightforward, I've so far only done one, a Class 46 Peak.

I made the mistake of doing it via the attached track, which Paul says takes a long time, but actually was done in about 20 minutes or so.

Apparently that time drops significantly to about 2 minutes, if you do it by the SUSI connection. which means taking the decoder out of the loco, and placing it on MXTAP

Not really a hassle, but I had just screwed the 46 back together when i started the update, so continued on the track.

- I will try the SUSI route for the next update !

Regards,

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was worth a try as I've had decoders which will only update when there is only one file on the USB stick.

Good to hear it's straightforward, I've changed the sounds on some of my large scale Euro outline engines but haven't had much success using the SUSI connection.

Hi Folks,

Santa kindly delivered a shiny new Zimo MXULFA, with a bit of help from the elves at Digitrains!

And, with even more help from Pauliebanger, I've got all 13 of my Zimo powered Diesels, and all 3 Steam locos now up to date with Zimo's latest decoder software, Ver 36.8

So now I'm starting on the adventure of upgrading all loco's to the newest sounds, courtesy of Paul, and some cash from me!

But, I have a small problem with my only non-sound Zimo decoder, an MX622, hard-wired into a Halling Tram chassis.

I am doing these updates using a spare length of track, connected to Schiene/Track out on MXULFA.

I also have MXTAP, for which I will use SUSI connection for Sound Updates later.

I have downloaded Zimo's latest software file from their website, DS161115.ZPP which contains DS161115.ZSU which, according to their website includes firmware for all their current decoders.

I have the ZSU file in the root directory of a USB stick, and this has successfully upgraded all 16 sound decoders, however, I cannot get the MXULFA to do the same for the MX622...

When I run the update routine by pressing button 1 on MXULFA, it does the read and write of CV144 and CV29, and then reports that no decoder exists!

Which is odd, as the MXULFA can read the decoder, and tell me that it's current firmware is V31.14, 

I'm assuming I need  different ZSU file on the USB stick? 

Or something else?

Any help gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan,

Confused, of Bury !

Alan

According to the Zimo site, the latest firmware(15/11/16) for the MX622  is V36.5.... and when downloaded it comes up as DS16115(1).zip does the (1) perhaps make the difference ? 

Ask Paul - I'm sure he will be able to help you with this..........

It should not be necessary to remove the hard wired decoder/s - I've updated the Zimo firmware on hard wired locos with no problems.........on a piece of track connected to the MXULFA  - but they are all sound versions. I don't have any non-sound Zimos...

Regards

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

• 3 years later...

Hi

I have just purchased an MXULFA and am having the same problem. I have successfully loaded a sound file so communication with the decoder obviously works, yet I get a 'Decoder not found' with the decoder update. Given that this post was from 2017 and I am having the same problem, I would have though somebody out there would have an answer by now?

Any help appreciated. I will post an answer if I find one..

Paul 

Hi Paul,

There are several ways to access ZIMO sounds decoders via MXULFA, but not all will allow decoder software update.

For example, you cannot update software using SUSI connection, so make sure you are using the correct routine from the menus, i.e. only those which connect via track outputs.

I always remove the SUSI cable connection to ensure only track connectors can be used when updating. Use SUSI for sound load only.

If you still have a problem:

Make a note of the steps you take, the menu options selected and the hardware connections and post them here and I'll try to help.

Is this a sound project you have created or obtained elsewhere? (Question regarding decoder locking).

Best regards

Paul