Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What colour for early BR freight grey?

The question of what looks right for 1950's BR freight stock grey has been one I have also struggled with for years.

That horrible dark lead colour that some Mainlne and early Bachmann wagons came finished in really forced the issue for me. I tried the Railmatch but it seemed too insipid - almost white - and the paint dried very rapidly here in Queensland as to be almost unusable! For the past 10 years or so I have blended my own colour using Italeri Flat Medium and Flight Light Grays - spelt with an a by them, looks right to me and has been favourably commented on by visitors. The most recent repaint has been the 6 wheel Oxford Brake Van as per the photo, what do other people think, and any other recent discoveries or suggestions?

post-3148-0-33073300-1530901731_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I always use Humbrol 147, a very pale grey. Here are a few shots with wagons painted thus.

post-6793-0-19806400-1530903254_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-83092400-1530903290_thumb.jpg

There are several reasons why I use a colour which looks a bit pale when first applied. Weathering always darkens the finish a little; better therefore to start the base coat on the light side. Our models are usually viewed indoors, often under artificial lighting; outdoors is much brighter, we can partly compensate for this by using colours at the paler end of the spectrum. The main reason has to be that this is how the real thing looked. It's easy to be mislead by the description grey and think that it's some sort of mid tone, much like Halfords primer when in fact is was far paler, closer to white than black and certainly not sitting at the mid point between the two.

• Like 1

Glad you said it Paul.

With the same colour varying in shade with the change in colour temperature throughout the day there's quite a difference to be be observed between a colour photographed in sunlight, shadow and shade.

Attached is Airfix side painted with various Humbrol greys. I have a similar side that includes early and late PP greys but can't find it at the moment. My view is using the prototype photographs that I posted above is: does it really matter matter what shade of grey you paint your wagons. As long as you are in the right ball park to satisfy yourself.

attachicon.gifWeateredWoodMy-003-SM.jpg

For the record, the early B.T.C. painting Spec. 32A which was for Covered Vehicles & Vans held at the NRM reads.

13 Canvass Roof Paint.

14 Finishing Paint.

16 Freight stock Red for lower walls up to 3' 6" & external body on fitted & piped vehicles. BS 381C 446 Red Oxide.

20 Stone Colour for Brakevan Interiors above 3' 6"    B.S. 381C 361 Light Stone

30 Freight stock Grey for unfitted vehicles                  B.S. 381C 693 Aircraft Grey.

75 Pale cream emulsion for interior wood surfaces of containers and vans.

B.S. 2660 4-056 of 1955. Current equivalent B.S 4800 10 C 31.

B.S. 381C 693 Aircraft Grey for Srgb display on computer screens is Hex: #7F8582.

And a square filled with  #7F8582

attachicon.gif#7F8582-Grey.jpg

P

Quite by accident this officially answers my thread re the interior colour of BR brake vans! Thanks

Tim T