Middleway Bridge; a far too big first time N gauge layout

The Pilotman

• RMweb Gold

The west end junction. The main line continues on the level onto an embankment and curves through 90 degrees towards the fiddle yard. Diverging left and descending at 1 in 40 is the “Fowey” branch and diverging right and climbing at 1 in 67 is the “Newquay” branch. To the right of that is a two road freight terminal. The blue sections are made of 2mm foam sheeting that I found in the garage and are being used as underlay (all the other lines use 4mm cork sheets).

4A43C4BA-B915-4A8E-936A-7799B601864F.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The west end scenic break will be in the middle of this picture. In the centre is the “Fowey” branch with the main lines and “Newquay” branch on the right. The branches end up 5cm below and above the main lines respectively. The curved points top centre are the converging lines of the up fiddle yard. 

F4085845-31EF-4033-BDDD-864E10E423C4.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The fiddle yards. Up fiddle yard in the foreground and the down beyond. The wagons on the right are on the raised “Newquay” fiddle yard; two loops in series. You can just see tucked under the left edge of the main baseboard the low level “Fowey” branch fiddle yard: a simple run round loop.

08A4DAF8-8747-43AD-9C81-9F9D47A1357B.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearly back where we started! The down fiddle yard on the left, up on the right and the centre of the raised “Newquay” fiddle yard right of that.

One entire circuit is two scale miles. The fiddle yard lines are spaced at 3cm allowing (just) enough room the get fingers in between if necessary. 
Once I started setting out the track I discovered that I had less concrete sleeper flexible track that I thought. I thought I’d ordered 60 lengths (and 120 lengths with wooden sleepers) but the ratio was actually 30/150 so I’ve had to revisit which sections I want to have concrete sleepers. 
That’s it for now, more updates to come. 

2D98A3EB-568C-401E-AFC4-89DDB64E9A29.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Just found your thread, very good luck with it. I'm tired just looking at all that track work...ah you young folks!

Cheers

Duncan

I’ve not been called young for a while; I’ve already racked up half a century! Anyway, if it ends up even a fraction as good as your Shirebrook, I’ll be very pleased. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

**** UPDATE ****
Well, my thread title proved to be rather prophetic. For several very good reasons this project turned out to be just too big, complicated and ambitious for me to bring into being and so I’ve decided to call time on it. A much simpler project is now being planned utilising the same baseboards and most of the stock I already own. I am very optimistic about this new project and I’ll be starting a thread on it in due course. So, unless for some reason I find myself with more time and money than I know what to do with, Middleway Bridge is off to join all those other layouts that never quite made it into reality. 

• Friendly/supportive 2