Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Does anybody make an accurate point in code 75 flatbottom ?

hi,

I'd like to up my game on the next plank track wise.

there are seceral options for better FB track than peco, but it seems all the point kits and points that are better are for bullhead ?

please tell me this isnt the case !

• RMweb Premium

hi,

there are seceral options for better FB track than peco, but it seems all the point kits and points that are better are for bullhead ?

Colin Craig is the chap you want - accurate uk-outline fb s&c kits and components.

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/s-c/4532599929

And technically, modelling UK fb track of the past 40 or 50 years needs Code 82 rail to replicate the 110lb/yd rail.

Tillig do code 82 FB RTR points that are slightly better looking than Peco but still suffer from sleeper spacing too tight for OO.  Alternatively Marcway will supply ready made FB points - never used myself but know they exist.

hi,

If its for 00 gauge then you can buy the parts from C&L as they use code 82 flatbottom rail with ST base plates. You could send an email to Peter asking if he would make up a basic kit with these parts, having said that if you want 3 or more turnouts then buying the components will be far cheaper.

You will have to make your own Vees and switch blades, but these are easily filed up with the use of a few simple home made jigs. With the Vees needing soldering together, If using the plastic timbers there is no need to solder up the common crossings, as the chairs will hold all together

C&L rail is HiNi which is far less yellow than normal nicklesilver rail and compatible with code 75

Parts are as follows

Rail  4RA101C   C&L Code 82 Nickle-silver rail 10 meters   (enough for 6 or 7 turnouts)   £15.50

Sleepers   4TT101B  C&L thick plastic sleepers (don't use the thin ones) (enough for 1.5 turnouts)  £7.80

OR

Sleepers  E4XXPCT0  Exactoscale timbers (enough for 2.5 turnouts) £10.20

Chairs 4SC101A  C&L ST baseplates (250) (enough for 3 turnouts)  £14.40

Slide chairs  4CH103A  C&L 4 bolt slide chairs (100) (enough for 6/7 turnouts) £10

I would guess a turnout depending on size will work out at between £12 & £15. I prefer Exactoscale Timbers over C&L as you get more for your money and more importantly have a selection of longer sizes 

Proper plans, which can if required be tailored to suite the situation are easily made and printed from Templot. These turnouts are easily built with a couple of simple gauges and require basic filing and soldering skills

Tillig do code 82 FB RTR points that are slightly better looking than Peco but still suffer from sleeper spacing too tight for OO.  Alternatively Marcway will supply ready made FB points - never used myself but know they exist.

I've used Tillig quite a lot on my layouts and for others. They can be made to look less "European" and use the correct Code 82 FB rail. I knew they were fragile but having just laid 9 of them and suffered points already broken on opening the box, broken tie bars when laying, missing point blade pins and many other unholy nightmares, I couldn't honestly recommend them to anyone. I don't have the confidence to scratchbuild but if I was looking for better realism, I'd try and get them made for me. Either that or I will be heading back to the wonderful world of Peco Code 75, which is exactly what you're trying to get away from! Good luck.

thanks for the replies -

pete , i was attracted to the tillig range but your experiences and others put me off.

i dont really want to spend time trying to build from compnents as my skills are limited and time more so.

i think the way forward may be marcway - i know they dont have chairs, but if they can do FB their prices seem reasonable

Archived