Red Damsel - A Super Detailed Slater's Quarry Hunslet in 16mm Scale

Before stripping the chassis back down for painting, I made sure it worked. The new crankpins and bushes solved the old tight spot. (and they look like the real thing now too!).

Just doing the final bits to the chassis now - adding the last of the M0.6 bolts, then I'll prime it up this afternoon and topcoat it next week.  

• Like 5

Ok so one last look at the assembled chassis prior to stripping for painting:

post-21854-0-80456400-1490958848_thumb.jpg

Frames unit in primer:

post-21854-0-37718300-1490958852_thumb.jpg

And now painted up. I had some free time this morning, so I topcoated it and began weathering it at the same time. The lighting here doesn't show much of a difference in tone between the vermillion buffer beam and motion brackets to the dirty maroon used for the frames. Dinorwic locos are often incorrectly painted with black frames -when in reality they were body colour. 

post-21854-0-50740600-1490958855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 11

Guest Isambarduk

Freshly painted Vermilion cranks stand out like a sore thumb next to the weathered vermilion motion brackets! 

I'd worry more about those cheese-head screws!  Could you fill in the slots (with plasticine) to make them less obvious?   David

I'd worry more about those cheese-head screws!  Could you fill in the slots (with plasticine) to make them less obvious?   David

No need, since they aren't visible once the footplate and slidebars are in place. 

Brake gear is currently being fitted. 

And at close of play tonight, Damsel looks like this:

post-21854-0-21201400-1491328220_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-07993400-1491328235_thumb.jpg

I think I'll have to have some new tank/smokebox brackets made, the supplied ones are too short when the tank is fitted where it should be relative to the firebox and cab. 

post-21854-0-95218300-1491328331_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Even the cruel close-ups are pretty good. I've enjoyed this build.

That's the beauty of the large scale, I can't see me going back to 4mm for a while. For my next project I'm deciding between de Winton or another Hunslet (and if another Hunslet, what identity it should carry). There are a few things I'd like to do differently on another Hunslet, for even more detail. 

• Like 2

Well today has been fun! I don't like faffing with copper wire at the best of times, but Red Damsel has a lot of exposed pipework so i have no choice! There was a major disaster along the way, the 138 degree solder failed AGAIN on the left hand bunker. I could have cried as the last time it happened I was about to paint it, so it was easy to solder back on, but today, now the whole lot is painted? Just great! I didn't even attempt re soldering it to the footplate, instead I got a scrap of brass angle and soldered it inside the bunker, then held it in place and drilled through the angle and the footplate - it's now held on by a 10BA nut and bolt. Not ideal, but you have to get right under the loco to see the bolt head and the nut will be buried by coal anyway.

I made full advantage of the missing bunker in forming the pipework runs up the side of the firebox, which would otherwise have been even more fiddly. Now I need to pluck up the courage to go round the other side and do those pipes! 

Compares favourably with PGH's pic I think. 

post-21854-0-47994400-1491408255_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

That's the beauty of the large scale, I can't see me going back to 4mm for a while. For my next project I'm deciding between de Winton or another Hunslet (and if another Hunslet, what identity it should carry). There are a few things I'd like to do differently on another Hunslet, for even more detail. 

I like the look of the Slaters Ruston...must...resist....

• Like 1

Well today has been fun! I don't like faffing with copper wire at the best of times, but Red Damsel has a lot of exposed pipework so i have no choice! There was a major disaster along the way, the 138 degree solder failed AGAIN on the left hand bunker. I could have cried as the last time it happened I was about to paint it, so it was easy to solder back on, but today, now the whole lot is painted? Just great! I didn't even attempt re soldering it to the footplate, instead I got a scrap of brass angle and soldered it inside the bunker, then held it in place and drilled through the angle and the footplate - it's now held on by a 10BA nut and bolt. Not ideal, but you have to get right under the loco to see the bolt head and the nut will be buried by coal anyway.

I made full advantage of the missing bunker in forming the pipework runs up the side of the firebox, which would otherwise have been even more fiddly. Now I need to pluck up the courage to go round the other side and do those pipes! 

Compares favourably with PGH's pic I think. 

Nah...it's spoiled now. You should send it me and start again, doing better next time....

I like the look of the Slaters Ruston...must...resist....

I'd like to find a really decent 16mm one!

Nah...it's spoiled now. You should send it me and start again, doing better next time....

I think I'd better keep it here to remind me of my mistakes :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A long time with no final finishing! The cast brass nameplates arrived today, and have been duly painted. The buffers did too, but there was an issue with the order resulting in me having 4 rear buffers and no fronts!

The plates have been duly painted, and look great, much more convincing than the overly crisp and too thin etched ones I had previously. (No condemnation of Narrow Planet's work, just that etched doesn't quite cut it when replicating a heavy brass casting).

post-21854-0-13351800-1499885894_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Practising distressing and painting the buffers. They are printed in Shapeways' BHDA material, and have come out with the grain running the wrong way so I've grained them with a scalpel. Then they were airbrushed in various shades of black, brown, grey and finally sepia washed and black washed to get to this stage. The rust was dabbed off to reveal some grey beneath. 

post-21854-0-94785500-1500056892_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-35270200-1500056895_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

An now we have rear buffers. The left hand one has the bolts exposed through wear, or rather from fitting rust painted brass rod into purpose made holes in the printed buffer and the corner being filed off, but yeh, same difference! 

post-21854-0-86770600-1500163970_thumb.jpg

• Like 8