Smallest white LEDs

Hi

You could try Bromsgrove models, they should have SMD's 0.8mm x 1.2mm in white. I also know DCC Concepts have their own which are are 0.6mm x 1mm but they are for his 4mm lights. Might be worth dropping him a line, he also has some pre wired ones in 3 different whites.

Hope that helps

Martin

Does anybody know what the smallest diameter white LEDs easily available in the UK are? Is it possible to get 1mm diameter?

I don't think you will find anything that small in the conventional LED style (i.e. round flanged body with two legs).

2mm 'Lighthouse' style are probably the closest, and you may be able to file or turn these down to a smaller diameter with a bit of care. When required to do it myself, I always use a diamond coated file as these seem to work best with hard plastic LED bodies.

Otherwise, as has already been mentioned, you are looking at Surface Mount (SM) devices, but these are inevitably rectangular and thus don't readily fit or locate into simple drilled holes.

Does anybody know what the smallest diameter white LEDs easily available in the UK are? Is it possible to get 1mm diameter?

Stu

Hi Stu.

There is of course fibre optics. You can get 1mm diameter fibre optic from places like maplins or those cheap lights from the pound shop and stuff.

Missy smile.gif

Ahhhh yes I forgot all about fibre I use it all the time, very very handy.

Here is 2 examples of where I have used it.

Inside the cab of a class 20

IMG_1422Medium.jpg

WC Class I cannot remember if these are "sunny white" or "Protowhite" from DCC Concepts but their is a difference.

IMG_1346Medium.jpg

AS Gordon said you can use a file...for a while I made a jig and turned them on a lathe but fibre is a lot easier.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for all the replies - I was just thinking about their use in a gas lamp - 2mm would probably fit okay. I am aware that working gas lamps are available so may use those anyway. (4mm scale)

Stu

Archived