Another boxfile layout

just started properly on new boxfile layout. This time a British theme, somewhere in Lancashire, with a small byway/freight line.

br-h0-box5-sm.jpg

The buildings are 3D printed and are typical Lancashire terrace houses on a hill, with roof following line of hill.  Track is standard Peco, but with board joiners using my 3D printed designs.

I plan to have a road bridge on left side, some type of industrial/mill building in left box.I might add more boxes, ultimately having a complete(or near complete) circle.

Oh, and it is HO not OO.

what you see is pretty much what I am doing, with a straight track ang to the right. I had thought of adding another box to the right, but not for the moment. One idea is to add boxes at right angles to each end and then continue round the circle. Will have to see how this progresses. For me it is as much about showing that British HO can work.

this gives a better idea.

br-h0-box8-sm.jpg

All track has now been ballasted(using brown filler, and then painted).

I plan a road bridge to the left and a disused canal in back of left hand box.

I have posted something in another thread but will add it here. For locos and stock, I plan to use an ex GER tram loco and coach, the reason being that a local mill owner thought they were ideal for his little line. I am working on other stock, but it will be small loco only. I have a Roco diesel shunter(similar to cl 08 ones), which will be used for BR part of operation.

br-ho-box6-sm.jpg

br-ho-box7-sm.jpg

started on the road bridge, well actualy a mock up to see if it will fit OK. There is not much clearence. It continues accross the canal, which is main reason for the bridge.

br-ho-box9-sm.jpg

The loco on left is my firs 3D printed HO loco, an Austerity J94 fitted to a Bachmann 03/04 chassis. I have fitted couplings to my 16t coal wagon.  Thinking that this will be some type of exchange area between BR and private line. BR to the left. The passenger service will run occasionally as it is only present to transport workers up to the mill.

• 2 weeks later...

Work progressing well, after a short break. started on

2nd box, using a Knightwing/Heljan mine/industustrial building as a start point for building

br-ho-box-92b-sm.jpg

To make sure everything folds down OK, when adding scenery to flat area,

br-ho-box-92a-sm.jpgthe

blue saw blade on left will be the line of a road bridge, which obviously has to fold into space next to the building.

The backscene has been done using parts from Townscene sheets. It will be dulled down a bit more, and the grey(water) are below painted to match the water under the builing.

• 3 weeks later...

Been at the stage where I wanted to make sure it worked before taking more photos.

It is all wired up, and tested and appears to work OK.

It still folds(hopefully latest grass will not stop that).

br-ho-box-93-sm.jpg

There are spots where small items(huts,vehicles) can be placed.At

At the moment it will only be he two boxes, but I might add more. I am also considering adding the 3rd rail so I can run my GEC EMU, and then the line will become a fictional branch somewhere connected to Southport/Preston. I might alternatively build a new set of boxes, specifically for that. The aim is is show that British HO is possible.

• 3 weeks later...

A layout is never finished, but I can now put this to one side to start on something else

br-ho-box95-sm.jpg

br-ho-box95b-sm.jpg

The GEC ciach unit is one of my own 3D print designs.

I have added a third rail, so the layout will now be somewhee newr to Preston, with assumption that the Southport to Preston line was electrified, and this is a branch off it.

The more I do in HO, the more I prefer it to OO, pity as I still have a lot of OO stuff. That Mill Town series when it entually is published everywhere, may still  find a use. You can pack a lot into a small dockyard scene.

Not sure if this will run with a circle of track or timed shuttle yet.

One big advantage of this boxfile is that I can take it with me to exhibitions I am visiting. Probably only one, just to show .

Archived