Schlieren bogies 00 - New Supplier of sprung version

Mike Storey

All these years searching for someone who produces these bogies and, just when I start the ball rolling to make my own......I think I will order and try out a pair of these to see if they are (a) easy to build (I presume they are whitemetal, but could be resin?) and (b) look right.

Mike,

The only S-kits bogies that I have are white metal castings, so I assume that the Schlieren bogies will be too.  That said, S-Kits do sell resin products.

I have to agree that it is rather difficult to find out what S-Kits actually do stock / sell because of their lack of a web presence, which is why you obviously weren't aware that S-Kits apparently produce them.  Whilst I have no issues with S-Kits, both of the orders that I have sent have taken a while - maybe seven or eight weeks from when I post the cheque to when the goods actually arrive.  In our current 'I want it immediately society' that is on the slow side, but I understand that George (the owner) has another full time job, so you just have to be patient.  I hope you're not in a hurry!!

I've no idea how to change the topic title.

Mike,

The only S-kits bogies that I have are white metal castings, so I assume that the Schlieren bogies will be too.  That said, S-Kits do sell resin products.

I have to agree that it is rather difficult to find out what S-Kits actually do stock / sell because of their lack of a web presence, which is why you obviously weren't aware that S-Kits apparently produce them.  Whilst I have no issues with S-Kits, both of the orders that I have sent have taken a while - maybe seven or eight weeks from when I post the cheque to when the goods actually arrive.  In our current 'I want it immediately society' that is on the slow side, but I understand that George (the owner) has another full time job, so you just have to be patient.  I hope you're not in a hurry!!

I've no idea how to change the topic title.

Yes I met George at a DEMU exhibition in 2015, but I think it is his son (nephew?) now running things whilst George makes a few bits (or maybe more than a few)? Or is the George the younger man? Anyway, I bought a few things off them, there and then, and took a list. But no mention of Schlierens, even when I queried - he was still trying to produce some Gloucesters at that time. Lovely guy though.

No hurry for the bogies - it would have taken several months to have them produced the way I was going to. I now have all the donor bodies, and as I can see S-Kits sell the right wheels, bearings and axles, that will save me much time too. I have emailed him as to what material the bogies are made, and what postage will be to France, so will wait on his reply.

Thanks

I got some bits off S-Kits at DEMU Showcase last year. I am sure I read on the DEMU forum that S-Kits will also be attending this year's show too.

Thanks - unfortunately I will not make it there this year, so must make do with La Poste.

• 4 weeks later...

I have emailed George twice now on the new email address, latest on 9th March. No response. Do any of you have a telephone number please?

Many thanks

It doesn't seem to be on his latest advert, so perhaps he doesn't want it used; I think he works shifts, so I can appreciate that.

His mail address is:-

16 Barrow Road

Sileby

Loughborough

LE12 7LP

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know that I have now received 2 x pairs of Schlieren whitemetal bogies from George, along with the right wheel sets, disc brake inserts and top hat bearings. They look just right to me, but a little complex to assemble at first glance (certainly many more parts than the old Appleby bogies). The instructions lack an exploded diagram. I have done a dry run and assembly seems logical, provided you realise the side frames are handed.

I will be ordering more on the basis of this, but will not have the time to get going on assembly until the autumn, due to outdoor pressures for the summer. But if anyone wants the part numbers to order, let me know.

Mike

Do they include the brackets/dampers for the hydraulically damped versions on the Murco branded TEAs?

Yes. Which is what confused me at first, as I will not need all of them for my 102t Sheerness Steel POA/JXA bogies!

• 10 months later...

Just an update - I bought four pairs of the S-Kits version and they are perfectly good. I test built one set and it seems straightforward enough.

However, I have now discovered that the Colin Craig version, which was not available for some years, is now made and sold by a firm called Stenson. These are brass fold up and solder kits, with cast outer frames, so much harder to make, at least properly, but they are sprung. That will drive me to attempt to make a pair and see what happens.

See http://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/product/bogie-schlieren-m25-cc15b/

• RMweb Gold

I am told on another thread that Phil Eames owns Stenson, and is also the creator of Calcutta Sidings, so he clearly knows what he is about!

That is correct. Phil does is indeed the owner of Stenson. Good to hear you managed to source the bogies.

Edited by BR Blue