New role for HST 125's

Euston has the facilities and doesnt appear tight on platforms,  though paths in and out are tight

Rugby, Preston have the ability and space to load /  unoad a parcels train, so does Crewe,   A 125mph HST wouldnt get in the way of the Pendo's much.  This all assume use of current stations. The flexibility of the HST to peel off to a "branch" and unload somewhere else is I expect about to be its forte.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC it was built for post office traffic.

Jamie

And BR parcels I believe plus 'railway service' use.  

Incidentally I wasn't aware that there is still road vehicle access to platform level at places like Rugby, Preston and Crewe although presumably the old parcels handling area at Euston might still be available.  At many stations the former parcels/mails access and subways have been used to create passenger access via lifts to the station platforms and thus the original subways or bridges are no longer available (I thought that might be the case at Rugby and Preston but obviously I'm incorrect on that one).

• RMweb Premium

The problem with biomass is as you've said, it doesn't have a very high calorific value, so doesn't generate as much heat, which means it doesn't burn hot enough and creates said carcinogens.Probably for the same reasons, the desulphurisation is less effective. That is why Drax is coal/biomass co-fired, the addition of the coal ensures full burning of the biomass.

Anyway, coal is biomass, just very very old biomass....

Dave

SOx is about the easiest emission to treat as SO2 is easily removed in a series of simple chemical reactions using either wet phase de-sulphurisation or a dry process using calcium carbonate. Both of these processes aren't affected by low temperatures, if anything they normally come after waste heat recovery systems, economisers etc so the exhaust gas is already pretty well cooled. SOx will actually drop out of its own accord if you let the exhaust gas go low enough and its temperature drops below the dew point for sulphuric acid and you have sulphuric acid forming in the flue gas, hence why you either have to keep temperature up or use corrosion resistant materials for flue stacks (or do both).

Usually temperature is not such an issue provided the boiler is well set up, low CV is not the same as low temperature combustion. The problem of low CV is less about low temperature than the amount of fuel needed.

Euston has the facilities and doesnt appear tight on platforms,  though paths in and out are tight

Rugby, Preston have the ability and space to load /  unoad a parcels train, so does Crewe,   A 125mph HST wouldnt get in the way of the Pendo's much.  This all assume use of current stations. The flexibility of the HST to peel off to a "branch" and unload somewhere else is I expect about to be its forte.

It certainly won't do once HS2 works start!

• RMweb Premium

HSTs wouldn't mix very well with the electric traction out of Euston, they just don't accelerate very quickly, unless you knock out half the trailers....

Maybe that is why the six lorries worth are quoted?

Dave

HSTs wouldn't mix very well with the electric traction out of Euston, they just don't accelerate very quickly, unless you knock out half the trailers....

Dave

I guess we have to wait and see what further details emerge...

• RMweb Premium

And BR parcels I believe plus 'railway service' use.  

Incidentally I wasn't aware that there is still road vehicle access to platform level at places like Rugby, Preston and Crewe although presumably the old parcels handling area at Euston might still be available.  At many stations the former parcels/mails access and subways have been used to create passenger access via lifts to the station platforms and thus the original subways or bridges are no longer available (I thought that might be the case at Rugby and Preston but obviously I'm incorrect on that one).

I may well be wrong but I don't think that Rugby still has vehicular access to the main platforms since the rebuild but I'm happy to be corrected. Preston may still have on the westernmost platforms.  IIRC the big conveyor to the Post Office Building from the main Island platform was demolished a few years ago.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Having been to London & back again today in a IC125, we are really going to miss the last of their brute Paxman 2-loco power when they go and the space of the Mk 3 stock. Their end is going to be up there with the last of the Westerns, Deltics [my lords!], 86s & 87s on WCML, Peaks at St Pancras & NE-SW, Whistlers over Standedge, all of which I remember from 70's-00's. A few more years on glorified parcels trains will be like sending Deltics to Cleethorpes [at least you could ride behind them] and Class 40's on ballast trains at Crewe. They are still good for more than that.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Dave

HSTs mix OK with electric traction coming out of Kings Cross. What's the speed limit coming out of Euston?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

HSTs mix OK with electric traction coming out of Kings Cross. What's the speed limit coming out of Euston?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Agreed, they can mix, but an HST just hasn't got anywhere near the acceleration of Pendos, Voyagers, Electrostars and 350s. They all do about 70mph leaving MK southbound within a mile, and the WCML is pretty full.

Dave

Certainly Certainly​sounds an interesting concept.

Moving more freight to the railways is a good thing generally, especially if new emission regulations for diesels cause problems for road haulage perhaps.

Could prove an interesting modelling opportunity too.

Until the trains start trials we cannot really predict much.

Archived